225 Pro XS break in procedure

Picking up a new Merc 225 Pro XS late next week. Im sure the dealer will have break in advice, but I was wondering what the board has to say.
    Thanks

Use the owners manual, not the forums.
    This is what I recommend.
    IMG_2051004.jpg
    Last edited by lpugh; 05-24-2023 at 11:16 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    checkout the FAQ on that subject
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Is this a new 2-stroke or 4-stroke ProXS?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh View Post
    Picking up a new Merc 225 Pro XS late next week. Im sure the dealer will have break in advice, but I was wondering what the board has to say.
    Thanks
    In the CORRECT forum for the new 225 ProXS (This one if it's a powerhead on your Optimax, the FOURSTROKE FORUM if it's a new ProXS V8), you will find instructions in the FAQ Section that outline a combination of what's shown in the engine owners manual AND some very helpful into to potentially extend the engine's health and life.

Sorry Leon... Heat cycling isn't found in ANY of the manuals. Only HERE in the Forums.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 05-25-2023 at 01:26 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    [QUOTE=EuropeanAM;13027489]In the CORRECT forum for the new 225 ProXS (This one if it's a powerhead on your Optimax, the FOURSTROKE FORUM if it's a new ProXS V8), you will find instructions in the FAQ Section that outline a combination of what's shown in the engine owners manual AND some very helpful into to potentially extend the engine's health and life.

Sorry wrong forum, My bad
    It is a new 4 stroke Pro XS

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving post to the 4-stroke forum for you. Please be sure to provide Serial Number.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    225L PXS TM 3B265112

9. Member
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...9#post10598159 posted at top

In General: 10 Hours of Break-in (Total).

For the First Two Hours of Operation: Start the engine and allow it to reach operating temperature. Get the boat on plane, and operate the engine at up to 4500 RPM's (Important: Vary engine RPM's every 2-5 minutes). Run the engine to FULL THROTTLE for 60 seconds once every 10 minutes (approximately).

Additional Recommendation: Though not listed in Owner's Manuals, it is an excellent idea to have the engine make at least two (2) complete HEAT CYCLES during the first 2 hours of operation. A heat cycle consists of: Ambient temp, start engine, come to operating temp, run engine for at least 5 minutes on plane, return to idle, stabilize engine temp, shutdown engine and allow to cool to ambient temp. Note: Heat cycles CAN be done on different days.

For the Next 8 Hours of Operation: Full throttle may continue to be used, but engine RPM's should be varied/changed at least once every 5 minutes.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^^^