Damage to Lower Unit 250 ProXS

Felt the dreaded 'thud' over the weekend and found slight damage to my lower unit. As you can see in the picture. Has anyone repaired these instead of a full replacement?
    Ser # 2B595461
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bpy; 05-25-2023 at 01:38 PM.

2. Member
    Good ole old hickory autograph? I’d run it as it is, it’s not gonna hurt anything. I’m sure there is someone around here that could weld a piece back on since it’s a clean break. Duck Welding would be a good place to check with. It would be a lot cheaper to try that first instead of $9k or so for a new unit.

3. Member
    It’s actually a Center Hill special after the lake jumped 4 ft in a few days. Duck welding probably is a good place to start.

My last boat had that from the previous owner. I just took a file and rounded the edges so cracks wouldn't form and it was good for the 6 years I owned it.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

If your engine is under warranty, OR a product protection plan, it needs to be repaired using OEM components (housing replacement at a minimum). Failure to do so could result in denial of claims in the future.

That fin does have/serve a purpose, and there is an increased chance of aerated cooling water running it like it is.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor