250 Pro XS Lower unit Choices

I'm looking at repowering and it looks like the 250 Pro XS comes with two possible gearcases. TorqueMaster and 5.44" Can anyone explain the difference?

The torquemaster gearcase is meant for applications where you have a boat capable of higher speeds 65-85mph or so. Typically to get this speed, you run the gearcase higher on the transom (or jackplate) so there are details in that gearcase that allow it to run it higher. Most bass boat applications seem to perform best with a torquemaster gearcase.

The 5.44 refers to the diameter of the gearcase and this option is usually utilized on slower applications. This is likely the gearcase of choice for multi species freshwater aluminum and fiberglass boats.

3. Member
    T/M is what you need if a bass boat
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    I’m kinda in the middle I have a Ranger 522D. So basically a bass boat with a Walleye boat hull.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Will basically come down to which shaft length you need.

20" comes with the TM (available Mechanical or DTS)

25" comes with the 5.44" (available Mechanical or DTS)

And if those two choices don't suit your needs, there are at least 88 (EIGHTY-EIGHT) other unique model numbers of the 250 Fourstroke.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    88 ? Wow! That might be to much for my little brain. I need a 25". I thought it was an option but if not then I guess that's what I get. I have a 300 etec gen 1 on there right now and fully loaded it gets on plane pretty good and tops out at 60 MPH. I'm fine with both just worried about how much I might loose going down to a 250 4S.

Most of the people around here with the 522D have the Evinrude 250 G2 and their performance is very similar to mine.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You know... you could always move to the 300 ProXS.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Don if I went with the 300 which Lower Unit would you recommend for a boat the size of mine? Just to clarify its a 522D which has a hull closer to a Multi Species boat then a bass boat. The fastest I know of these boats going is 62 to 63 MPH.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    5.44" would make for a good setup.

10. Member
    Don one more question if you don't mind? I have decided to pull the trigger on a re-power. I'm not a speed guy so if it does 58 or 62 its all the same to me but I hate not being able to get on plane with ease. The 522D's around here with Evinrude 250 G2 seem to get up and go with no problem. How do you thing the 250 Pro XS 4s would compare? And would there be a big difference between the 250 and 300 on hole shot only?

This is not a money thing the difference between the motors is not a lot. I would like the 250 so I still qualify to fish some of the bigger tournaments. But not at the expense of having a boat that takes for ever to get on plane.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It should be roughly comparable, if properly set up, with the 250. Sounds like your decision comes down to:

-Go fast and don't fish

-Run Decent and qualify to fish.

(That choice is, of course, yours).

12. Member
    Thanks Don I appreciate it