Thread: 6:3:1 or 7:3:1

6:3:1 or 7:3:1

Is the 6:3 or 7:3 a better all around retrieve?

Both Work
    I'd sat 7.3

3. Member
    Depends on what you are retrieving.

4. Member
    Gear ratio is just a number. You can’t use it universally because different reels have different-diameter spools (and different handle sizes). A 6.3:1 reel with a bigger spool might retrieve as much (if not more) line per turn as a 7.4:1 reel with a smaller spool. You can make any reel that is too fast for you retrieve more slowly by not spooling it to the rim (you're effectively creating a smaller spool). Etc. pp.

I look at the IPT information of each reel - inches per turn is universal, and gives an actual impression of how fast you’ll retrieve a lure if you are cranking at exactly the same speed. And even there you need to be precise: the difference between a 6:1 and 7:1 reel with the same spool and handle is only about 14%. You can easily make up that speed on a cast by reeling just a little bit faster or slower.

Beyond that: I prefer 7:1 for moving baits and 6:1 for bottom contact, but it’s such an in exact science because of all the factors mentioned above. (And I have 6:1 reels that retrieve quicker than 7:1 reels - for the same reasons - which muddies the water even more.) Slower gear ratios are generally better for retrieves with a lot of resistance, too - if you’re deep-cranking on a high gear ratio reel, be prepared to really get a workout. If you use a very high gear ratio for flipping or punching and need to turn that handle while seriously stuck in the weeds, it’ll be harder.
    Last edited by Drakestar; 05-25-2023 at 06:22 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakestar View Post
    Gear ratio is just a number. You can’t use it universally because different reels have different-diameter spools (and different handle sizes). A 6.3:1 reel with a bigger spool might retrieve as much (if not more) line per turn as a 7.4:1 reel with a smaller spool. You can make that 6.3:1 reel with the bigger spool slower by not spoiling it to the rim. Etc. pp.

I look at the IPT information of each reel - inches per turn is universal, and gives an actual impression of how fast you’ll retrieve a lure if you are cranking at exactly the same speed. And even there you need to be precise: the difference between a 6:1 and 7:1 reel with the same spool and handle is only about 14%. You can easily make up that speed on a cast by reeling just a little bit faster or slower.

Beyond that: I prefer 7:1 for moving baits and 6:1 for bottom contact, but it’s such an in exact science because of all the factors mentioned above. (And i have 6:1 reels that retrieve quicker than 7:1 reels - for the same reasons - which muddies the water even more.) Slower retrieves are generally better for retrieves with a lot of resistance, too - if you’re deep-cranking on a high gear ratio reel, be prepared to really get a workout. If you use a very high gear ratio for flipping or punching and need to turn that handle while seriously stuck in the weeds, it’ll be harder.
    Awesome info. Thanks!