Lucas M

Buying a 1997 R72 Sport - Questions!

Hey, I am looking to buy a 1997 R72 Sport later next week and wanted to get some info from anyone who has or had one. The boat does not come with a center insert, which I would like for the front deck for more fishing space. Can these still be purchased? Or is it easier to just make one?
    Also, I want to install a recessed trolling motor tray and wanted to see if I could do that with the way the front deck is setup. It has 2 rod lockers, but from what I have been told, can only hold rods under 7' long, has anyone tried to modify these to extend them and hold 7'6" rods?

Any other items or advice with this boat would be great. I will be adding my ultrex, Hbird 12, and Hbird 10 to the boat.
    Thanks!

2. Member
    I have a 2001 R73 and the rod lockers only hold 6' 6" rods although the starboard side on my boat is will not hold a rod that long. Two of the tubes on the port side are also not that long. I bought some 7' 6" rods with a retractable butt or 2 piece 7' rods. I wish I could remove the port side for organizer. I would definitely add the deck extension but you will probably have to make one.

3. Member
    Lucas - I have the single console 1994 R70. I can fit a 7'3" on the port side,but your rod locker on a R72 is a lot shorter due to the 2nd console. So no 7 footers. I installed a comfortroll recessed tray on mine no major problems. But I had to cut into the front livewell a little bit. The center insert or flipping deck I got from Ranger years ago.You will probaly need to make it. But both the tray and insert are worth doing. Makes the boat feel a lot bigger. Good luck with your purchase.

4. Member
    Yes you can install a recessed foot tray
    You can cut the ends off the rod lockers to fit an 9’ rod
    You MIGHT be able to call Ranger for the deck extension (my 96 R70 came with one)

I detailed all of the above the mods and more to my 96 R70 on a different forum.

https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fi...easy”-updates/

If you are on Facebook, join the “R-series Ranger Boats” group.