98 TR18 (Electrical help)

Hello, new owner of a 98 Triton TR18 with a 2014 Mercury Pro XS150. I am looking for a picture of the wiring of the main switch panel, color code or wiring diagram. I am replacing corroded connectors and cleaning all the terminals. They have a few wires that are not connected and may have originally been connected somewhere or maybe they were extra. The wires were breaking off at the terminals behind the switches due to corrosion. Thanks for any help
    IMG_4777.jpegIMG_4738.jpegIMG_4741.jpeg
    98 Triton TR18
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 150

2. Member
    2004 Wiring diagram. Color coding has not changed (abyc standard) & it is a very good reference as triton has been very consistent.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    2004 Wiring diagram. Color coding has not changed (abyc standard) & it is a very good reference as triton has been very consistent.
    Thanks, I found one from 2004 model. On my panel they have two aerator switches, one ACC, was this common? and do I need both. Only have rear port/starboard live well with drain pumps. All but one pump needs to be replaced. I would like to have the timer working for the live wells.
    98 Triton TR18
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 150

4. Member
    I have a 99 TR18 and went through a lot of my wiring a few years back. When you strip the insulation back you are going to find corrosion that has traveled up the wire core so be ready for that. My panel has a combo left/right switch for pumpout, aerator, and fill. There are six pumps in the back. I have my electronics wired into the acc switch. Also, Ashmore Marine Products sells a replacement panel that is nice; I picked one up but have not installed it yet.

How does that boat run with the Pro XS?

5. Member
    The red cylindrical module is the livewell timer…..it should control timing for both aeration & recirculation……and it looks like it is jumpered to multiple switches. If you have 2 independent livewells then you will need both switches. Could you combine them….probably…..but possibly causing circuit breaker issues due to increased amp draw. I would keep them separate…..I use my independent livewells to balance my boat based on fishing solo or with a partner.

If it were my boat….I would replace all the switches & switch wiring under that panel back to the circuit breaker panel…,.just to eliminate gremlins.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbahus View Post
    I have a 99 TR18 and went through a lot of my wiring a few years back. When you strip the insulation back you are going to find corrosion that has traveled up the wire core so be ready for that. My panel has a combo left/right switch for pumpout, aerator, and fill. There are six pumps in the back. I have my electronics wired into the acc switch. Also, Ashmore Marine Products sells a replacement panel that is nice; I picked one up but have not installed it yet.

How does that boat run with the Pro XS?
    Hi, I agree with the wires corroded, several of mine were bad, cut some of the wire off and put new terminals. I only see two aerators, two live well pumps and one Bilge pump. Should I have anymore? Only have the boat for about a week and taken out twice. Not sure about WOT but the hole shot to get on plane is very quick, jumps right out the hole no lag at all. Has 23p Tempest prop, manual jack plate.
    98 Triton TR18
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 150

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    The red cylindrical module is the livewell timer…..it should control timing for both aeration & recirculation……and it looks like it is jumpered to multiple switches. If you have 2 independent livewells then you will need both switches. Could you combine them….probably…..but possibly causing circuit breaker issues due to increased amp draw. I would keep them separate…..I use my independent livewells to balance my boat based on fishing solo or with a partner.

If it were my boat….I would replace all the switches & switch wiring under that panel back to the circuit breaker panel…,.just to eliminate gremlins.
    thanks, I have replaced all the terminals on the switches. My current problem is that some of the wires were so corroded and they fell off from where they were attached and I am not sure where they are supposed to go. The boat does have two separate switched for the live wells, I only see the pumps to empty the live wells and the pumps to fill them, it they have additional aerators I am not sure where they are located.
    98 Triton TR18
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 150

8. Member
    Aerator (fill) pumps are deep in the bilge & pass thru the step. Recirc pumps are attached to the back/ side of the livewells about 3/4 of the way up. Pump-out pumps are attached to the back/ side of the livewells about 2” from the bottom.

Bilge pumps are attached to the bottom of the bilge, dead center about 12” in front of the aerator pumps.

https://www.tritonboats.com/content/dam/wrmg-web/triton-boats/manuals/wire-diagram
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

9. Member
    Thanks. I guess the TR18 does not have recirculating pumps. I replaced both fill pumps and one of the pump out pumps.
    Last edited by Michael Stelly; 06-03-2023 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Grammar
    98 Triton TR18
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 150