Question Ideal Jack Plate Setback for Stratos 210 Elite /w Yamaha 250 HP VMAX HPDI ?

I currently have a manual jack plate with a 10" setback on my Stratos 210 Elite /w Yamaha 250 HP VMAX HPDI. I'm looking to replace it with a hydraulic jack plate.

For those who have a Stratos 210 Elite or similar Champion, any recommendations on what jack plate setback would be best?

With my current setup, I get a decent amount of bow lift. Like when slowing down after high speeds and trying to run slow, the bow sits pretty high even after trimming the motor down. High enough to where I can’t see ahead. I basically have to almost come to a complete stop and let the boat settle, and then start moving again in order for the bow to stay down so that I can see ahead. Porpoising is another problem I have.

I think part of the problem is the motor sits too low, but I can't raise the manual jack plate any higher.

I was originally thinking of a 12" setback but now I'm reconsidering since I believe a larger setback will make the bow lift worse. But on the other hand, perhaps a hydraulic jack plate would give me more flexibility to prevent the issue.

But I'm thinking a 10" setback or even and 8" setback might be better option for my issues and also put less stress on the transom.

So I'd like to hear what setbacks people with similar boats are running with and recommendations.

2. Member
    I had a 03 201 with a Evinrude 250 on a 6” Detwiler hydraulic jackplate. Ran it for 13 years without issue. The ability to adjust the engine height at any time is key to top speed tweaking and low speed stability.

3. Member
    6-8 what I would get
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Thanks for the info!

5. Member
    I don’t know about your boat but on the ones I’ve had an 8” plate made them handle better all the way around. A 6” works fine too just not as smooth at lifting or when coming off of plane.