Got back to the ramp, and wouldn't start to get on trailer

250 ProXS 2B360847
    The past week I was digging around with wiring trying to find the warning horn, so I did move a bunch of wires around. Went out today and boat fired right up no issue, the same with the next 5 or 6 moves throughout the day. Got back to the ramp, turned off the motor and when I got back with the trailer, turned the key and although I did get the warning horn, no crank whatsoever. Battery is new and was reading great voltage. I checked and reset kill switch just in case still nothing. Tried at least 10 more times and still nothing. On the 11th, it fired right up. Turned off the key and started it at least 4 or 5 more times with no issue. Obviously it's a concern going forward. Anywhere in particular to look for something I might have loosened, or what might be causing this?

Battery test and close inspection of connections, Do not recharge battery untill this is done
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    neutral safety switch wiring or bad switch in control box
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    neutral safety switch wiring or bad switch in control box
    Are you referring to the actual ignition switch?

5. Member
    no the neutral switch in control box or wiring to that switch they will be yellow with red strp if they become disconnected or loose connection the engine will not spin over
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    no the neutral switch in control box or wiring to that switch they will be yellow with red strp if they become disconnected or loose connection the engine will not spin over
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Checked every connection and checked battery and everything seems OK. The neutral safety switch connector went in another 1/16” or so, maybe the issue?? Starts fine right now, so we’ll see….
    Last edited by jerzia; 05-24-2023 at 11:26 AM.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Possibly. If it fails to start again, try to have a test light or meter with you (especially if a buddy can turn key for you). There's a slave solenoid on that engine, right below the PCM. If it fails, it may "click" but not send voltage to the primary Starter Solenoid on the starter.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Possibly. If it fails to start again, try to have a test light or meter with you (especially if a buddy can turn key for you). There's a slave solenoid on that engine, right below the PCM. If it fails, it may "click" but not send voltage to the primary Starter Solenoid on the starter.
    Thanks Don, will definitely keep that one in mind. It was just so weird tying up to the dock, and 90 seconds later, nothing.

10. Member
    You can try jiggling the control handle some while turing the key, if it starts when doing that, replace the neutral safety switch.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

11. Member
    ^^^^^^^+1