Restoring Javelin Renegade 18

I have not been on here in years and when I was on here people were extremely helpful. I actually gave away my previous bass boat because I was sick of dealing with it. I went a year and could not stand it any longer and just bought a 2000 Javelin renegade 18 with a 2000 johnson ocean runner in some major need of some TLC. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I may have bit off more than I can chew but it was a good deal. I get the feeling that by the time I restore it, I will have just as much money in it as I would had I just went out and bought one in good condition. I am cheap and did not want to throw down the money on one is pristine condition. Boat prices these days are outrageous. For you guys that can afford a new boat, I am certainly jealous.

List of known issues so far.

1. Hole in the dash where flasher used to be. I need to find something to fill it or cover it.
    2. 2 inch broken gauge in dash. If it were just dead, that would be one thing but the cover came off and it aint pretty. I think it was the trim gauge. Either replace it or cover it.
    3. 2 gaping holes under front deck where speakers used to be. I have some speakers I could put in it that will never be hooked up or used or I could see if I can find some covers that look decent enough.
    4. Desperate need of wet sanding and restoring gelcoat.
    5. Carpet needs to be replaced - where to find carpet at the best price
    6. Cowling has holes in it where the vents used to be in the back. The person I bought it from said it broke while he was trying to remove the cowling. I can find used cowlings on ebay but I am having a time trying to find one for this model.
    7. Bucket seats are gone. Do I replace with bucket seats and where can I find them at the best price or just throw in some folding seats.
    8. There is only one fishing seat. The boat came with 2 fairly nice wise folding boat seats that were to replace the bucket seats but were never installed. I am leaning towards using those for the bass seats and buying bucket seats.
    9. No electronics.
    10. Trolling motor is questionable. Its an old motorguide 70lb thrust but its black so its not as old as the old white ones.

I am sure the list will grow as I dive into this

2. Member
    1/4in Starboard makes great hole covers, dash panels, bow panels, etc and it's cheap for what you get. I buy my carpet off EBay Georgia Carpet Outlet or something like that. I have 10 yr old carpet from them that looks great. I may have the vent covers, I bought up a bunch of 60 degree Evinrudes for my personal stash of spare parts. Seats can always be bought on a deal you just have to shop them well for quality and a good price. Junk the trolling motor and get a used one from a trolling motor shop. Those guys usually have trade-ins that they will stand behind.

3. Member
    Here is the list you need.

1. Boss Audio Marine MCKGB350W.6 USB/AM/FM Bluetooth Marine Gauge Radio with 180W Marine Speakers Set | Bass Pro Shops

2. Amazon.com: Sierra 58431P 2" Trim Gauge : Automotive

3. see item #1

4. Just take your time

5. I bought my carpet from Ranger and got 24oz carpet and the lids were tight at first but are fine now after 1 year.

6. Check with C and O marine in White Bluff 615-797-4760

7. HIGH BACK BASS BOAT BUCKET SEATS (bassboatseats.com)

8. Lean Pro Boat Seats (bassboatseats.com)

9. Take your pick in the electronics section here on BBC as there are some good deals.

10. Any 80lbs thrust trolling motor will work great for you. I'm running a Minn Kota Fortex 80.

Hopefully that helps but being in Nashville and having C and O Marine you can get every part you need for the Javelin as they bought all of the inventory.

4. Member
    Thanks guys. I will look into your recommendations.