Resealing torquemaster gear case 250 ProXs

Serial number 1B861555
    I have had ongoing issues with water intrusion. I had it rebuilt 3 years ago and have had this issue since. I have taken it back to the shop twice and still leaking. The mechanic I use is supposed to be one of the best around my area, but I'm beginning to have doubts. He pressure tested and vacuum tested and tells me it passed both tests. I then asked him how he was filling the case and he said he fills it until lube comes out of vent then replaces both screws. He doesn't let any lube run out as recommended here on the site. After he told me this, I drained the gear case and refilled it then allowed 2 to 3 ounces of lube to drain out before installing the screw behind the prop. I'm still getting water intrusion. I'm wanting to purchase all new seals and attempt the job myself. Is this a difficult job to do and will I need any special tools? I've lost my trust in this shop at this point. I had my oil pump replaced prior to this gear case issue and when the owner of the shop was doing the oil prime, he put my motor in gear and revved it up. I questioned whether or not he should be doing that and he said he does it all the time. Is it possible he damaged something by doing this. Sorry for the long post, really frustrated with this situation. I checked the prop shaft for runout with my indicator and it is in spec. Thanks in advance for any assistance, Dave

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In order to properly reseal this gearcase, you will need several specialty tools. The bearing carrier must be removed, and a driver for the seals is needed (to properly align and drive to appropriate depths).

Service manual also required.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I have a service manual, is there a separate one for the gear case? I will look to see if it is covered in the manual i have when I get home from work. Thanks for the quick reply Don!

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Depends on which manual you have.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member

6. Member
    My manual does not cover the gear case. I will email Rhonda for assistance on what I need to order.

7. Member
    you can do it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Shift shaft seal was leaking. Replaced that, along with the O ring, carrier seal below water pump and did a new water pump kit while I had it apart. Thanks for you guidance Joe, much appreciated

9. Member
    welcome sir
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................