Thread: Trilene XT

Trilene XT

Guys yall have helped me with a boat and rods and reels. Now line. I grew up on mono so I thought I may just
    Stick with the Trilene Xt for all my reels. I want to keep it simple. I’m not a pro. I figure 15 lb test is
    good for all around. Advice or different recommendations please. Thanks.

2. Member
    XT for baitcasters.
    XL for spinning.

3. Member
    Will mono work for everything...yes. Is it your best option for everything...no. If you're trying to keep it simple, I would go braid-to-leader. Spool up your reels with 40lb braid and then run a mono leader. The braid will last for years (assuming you don't get a bad backlash and need to respool) and for things like frogging you can just remove the leader and go straight braid. You can buy a spool of mono for the leader material and you can spool one reel with straight mono for crankbaits and/or topwater. Having the braid-to-leader will help with getting good hooksets on long casts since there will be no stretch with the braid. Just my 2 cents.

4. Member
    I agree with the braid to leader. I use it on every setup I have with the exception of my trout rod which has trilene sensation.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    How long is a typical leader?
    And do you use a swivel?

6. Member
    XT in 6 and 8 lb for spinning reels, Big game for 10 lb and bigger on bait casters.

7. Member
    I use braid to a leader for everything also. I do not use a swivel, I tie mine together with a modified alberto knot for spinning gear and fq knot for casting gear(I find the fg knot harder to get tight with smaller diameter line). Casting gear I use a 8-10 foot leader and on my spinning gear ill use 10-20 foot leader depending on water clarity. I can get 3 years out of my braid, cuts way down on my line costs as I use fluorocarbon for my leaders, except wacky rigging around structure I'll use trilene xt for the abrasion resistance.

8. Member
    I would not suggest using a swivel. Most of the time you use a leader that is long enough that it goes through at least a couple of the rod guides, and sometimes the leader is long enough that it goes into the reel, and neither of those situations do you want a swivel that can damage the guides or the reel line guide. There are many different braid to leader connection knots. The FG is the best, but it's not easy to tie and takes time to tie as well. Find one that works good for you and one that you can tie correctly. For me, I use a 4-twist uni knot with the flourocarbon or mono and then a 12-twist improved clinch knot on the braid. I watched a video where Shaw Grigsby showed it and, for me, it's an easy connection knot to tie and I haven't had any problems with it yet. For throwing topwater walking baits or poppers, I usually use a short (12-18 inch) leader, so I suppose if you did this you could use a swivel if you wanted to. I just think there are many advantages of using a braid-to-leader setup over straight flouro or straight mono in most situations. However, I do still run straight flouro for my crankbaits.

I use 6lb-8lb XT on my spinning reels and 10lb-12lb on my bait casters. I used to use XL on the spinners but found it had too much stretch.

10. Member
    I’m not too scientific with leader length like I am when it comes to trout fishing. Usually 7-10’ leader. Other people use longer or shorter. It just works for me.

absolutely no swivel. I tie the connection with a crazy Alberto knot. Best leader knot I’ve ever used (tried double uni, blood knot, and FG). I’ve found the Alberto to be quicker than any of them to tie and is extremely thin.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I get it
    I love XT, It did caome about for bass fishing
    But these days It's top water or trolling rods

I go Co-ploy
    It's about the same cost and it has less strech and doesn't take a set like Mono
    Lot's of good brands out there, I like McCoy Mean Green

12. Member
    I did a stretch test a few years back. The two non-fluorocarbon lines that stretched the least were Trilene XT and Yo-Zuri Hybrid if that helps. They are also thicker than most lines, but even dropping down a size they still stretched less than the others tested.

I use Big Game 12# on all BC Reels

P-Line CXX Crystal Clear. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD. View Post
    P-Line CXX Crystal Clear. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    I like the low vis green better.

16. Member
    Berkley makes good line, but I'd suggest their Sensation or FluoroShield.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
    Berkley makes good line, but I'd suggest their Sensation or FluoroShield.
    I wish they made the sensation in 20 lb test.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FryDog62 View Post
    I did a stretch test a few years back. The two non-fluorocarbon lines that stretched the least were Trilene XT and Yo-Zuri Hybrid if that helps. They are also thicker than most lines, but even dropping down a size they still stretched less than the others tested.
    Did you happen to give CXX a shot and if so how did it compare? I’d love to hear more about your findings.

19. Member
    I see some some recommendations for Mcoy and P line CXX.

I use both but I do want to point out some things about these for the OP.

Mcoy is the stretchiest stuff I have used in a long time. When you set into a good one you can just feel the line stretch like bubblegum. Other than that property this line is good stuff and handles nicely.

CXX. This stuff is very strong and tough. Most durable non braid line I have ever used. That said it takes a memory like bailing wire and is tough to use on a setup that does not get used often. But it is actually my favorite to use but it can be temperamental and try to fight you when casting sometimes.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scud_Muffin View Post
    Did you happen to give CXX a shot and if so how did it compare? I’d love to hear more about your findings.
    No, however I did test CX Premium and out of 18 lines tested it was #4 in terms of stretch (1 least amount of stretch, 18 the most).