Is Hydralic Jack Plate needed

I have a 2023 Puma STS that has the regular Jack Plate - does it need a Hydralic Plate?

Thanks

IMO Maybe. If you fish a lot of shallow lakes where you need you get the motor up to get the boat on plane, then it is useable. Also, if you fish big water where you may need the motor buried for control when the waves start rolling, they are a great tool. If neither of those fit, then you do not need one. Other than that, most are better served with a manual and money saved.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    I've had both manual and hydraulic (tho not on a Puma). I look at like 4 wheel drive in your truck...the ONE time you need it, you wish you spent the money when you bought it. Just my 2 cents.

4. Member
    I put one on my p2, it is a light boat and greatly improved my ability to dial it in and adjust to different lake conditions, I never had one on my bigger boats as it just didn't seem needed once I got it where I wanted it.

5. Member
    I use mine every time out. Go up as I throttle down then drop as it comes on plane. I use it to access shallow water and even to load.

Great tool and it helps with resale?

Yes

7. Member
    Yes I use mine every time I am out on the water. If water is rough I can lower motor and ride is so much better. If conditions are more favorable I can raise motor and gi faster and potentially get better fuel milage. Shallow water around dock or loading raise it up. I would not own a boat without it.

It is not necessary on the Puma STS for most applications. It does allow users to adjust height for improved hole shot, and return to lower settings for performance. This allows larger propellers in some cases and does increase performance. The more loaded up your rig is, the more it influence that variety in height needed.

The facts are that almost all Puma STS models have been built with a hydraulic plate. We think that is the demographic used by tournament anglers and having a hydraulic plate can change in the user experience.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 05-23-2023 at 04:29 PM.

I have had several boats without one. Have a Bobs on my current Cat. I would spend the money in a heartbeat and get it again.

Needed , HELL NO ! Handy as a pocket on a T shirt , HELL YES !
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team
    If you aint first , your last !!!
    All fat girls welcomed !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Runner View Post
    Needed , HELL NO ! Handy as a pocket on a T shirt , HELL YES !
    Got that right.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

12. Member
    I have the Puma STS with hydraulic plate.

The boat will run fine without it. It's awfully handy to have though. If you want to get every last bit out of performance out of your boat, then you'll want the hydraulic plate.

If you don't care about losing a second on hole shot, you aren't trying to run at very top speeds, and you don't fish really shallow often... then you'll be fine with a manual plate.
    2023 Puma STS

13. Member
    Needed? Absolutely not. Spend the time to optimize PTP and never look back. If you ever have a failure, good luck.

14. Member
    You don't need one but depending on where you fish they can come in handy. I fish from the Upper Mississippi (real shallow) to the Great Lakes (real rough) so I use my Bob's all the time. I even have a TH Microjacker on my little tin 1650 river boat and that I use all the time.

15. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I'd give up electronics before I'd give up my hydraulic plate.