Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dedicated electronics Li battery size

I’m considering getting a lithium battery dedicated to running only the graphs on my boat, but not sure exactly how to calculate nor where to find the info to do so even though I’ve looked and was thinking some of you guys could help me out? I’m running a Humminbird Onix 10, Solix G2 10 and a Lowrance Elite Ti2 9. I believe the amp draw would be 6 amps. I don’t tournament fish, I just want them off my starting battery and was wondering what size battery I would want to run the graphs for 8 hours. I’d leave pumps on the starting battery.

I’m thinking maybe a 60aH battery, taking the 6amp draw x’s the 8 hours with a little left over, but that’s a pure guess

Thanks for any help!!!
    Last edited by rcraigrrt; 05-23-2023 at 02:40 AM.
    2011 Legend Alpha 211 DC
    250 Pro XS
    Solix 10 G2 MSI & Onix 10 NT
    Elite 9 Ti2 connected to
    Motorguide Xi5 105

2. Member
    I'd just add a second lead acid/AGM in parallel with the starting battery. Cheaper than Lithium, and will double your amp hours.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by rcraigrrt View Post
    I’m considering getting a lithium battery dedicated to running only the graphs on my boat, but not sure exactly how to calculate nor where to find the info to do so even though I’ve looked and was thinking some of you guys could help me out? I’m running a Humminbird Onix 10, Solix G2 10 and a Lowrance Elite Ti2 9. I believe the amp draw would be 6 amps. I don’t tournament fish, I just want them off my starting battery and was wondering what size battery I would want to run the graphs for 8 hours. I’d leave pumps on the starting battery.

I’m thinking maybe a 60aH battery, taking the 6amp draw x’s the 8 hours with a little left over, but that’s a pure guess

Thanks for any help!!!
    At 6a draw our 12v-60Ah will net you 10 hrs

We offer s BBC 15% off special so this unit will be $424.15 Shipped, no tax and does have Bluetooth

Use code BBC15 at checkout to get the discount

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulse Lithium View Post
    At 6a draw our 12v-60Ah will net you 10 hrs
    Thanks! That’s what I was kinda guessing. So does that mean if I went to a 60ah starting battery that it would last about the same time, plus take care of starting?
    2011 Legend Alpha 211 DC
    250 Pro XS
    Solix 10 G2 MSI & Onix 10 NT
    Elite 9 Ti2 connected to
    Motorguide Xi5 105

5. Member
    I was having issues with my electronics as you use your cranking/accessory battery voltage would get low enough to create issues with my electronics. I added a 27 series just for my electronics and haven't had an issue since. I put mine under the drivers console and ran the power to distribution block with a cover.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Thanks! That’s what I was kinda guessing. So does that mean if I went to a 60ah starting battery that it would last about the same time, plus take care of starting?

Our 60ah does not have a BMS designed to be used as an engine cranking battery, check out our 105Ah Starting Battery. $949 with 15% BBC Discount $806.56 Shipped and it comes with a Full 10yr non prorated warranty

Bill

205-965-8436

Quote Originally Posted by Impulse Lithium View Post
    Our 60ah does not have a BMS designed to be used as an engine cranking battery, check out our 105Ah Starting Battery. $949 with 15% BBC Discount $806.56 Shipped and it comes with a Full 10yr non prorated warranty

Bill

205-965-8436
    98 175 EFI Mercury on a Champion. Can I use one of the starting batteries on this? I have heard No. But I have also heard that these new batteries have something that can keep them from damaging the older engines charging systems? I have a Solix 12 and Helix 7 and really need the xtra reserve minutes.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel14 View Post
    98 175 EFI Mercury on a Champion. Can I use one of the starting batteries on this? I have heard No. But I have also heard that these new batteries have something that can keep them from damaging the older engines charging systems? I have a Solix 12 and Helix 7 and really need the xtra reserve minutes.
    No issue using our powerhouse 105 ah cranker on that merc 10% off with code BBC10 on our website. Kandkkustomz.com

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Calculating your amp draw your at approx 5.5 aph on 13 volts do a 60 ah battery will get you 10.5 hours. Happy get you into one of our Powerhouse. Better warranty and customer service then the other brands at 15 years total and 10 years no proration. Sake priced for Memorial day at 15% off only to BBC members.

10. Member
    Does the 60ah come with a charger?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    No issue using our powerhouse 105 ah cranker on that merc 10% off with code BBC10 on our website. Kandkkustomz.com

That EFI has a stator charging system, and requires a lead acid battery to help regulate and absorb the stator output.

EFI stators will melt an AGM, no idea what it would do to a lithium and I don't think you want to find out.

I have 3 separate independent circuits - Lead Acid for the EFI, 2x50 AH lithium for 24 v troller, 1x125 AH lithium for graphs, scope, pumps, lights.

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM64 View Post
    That EFI has a stator charging system, and requires a lead acid battery to help regulate and absorb the stator output.

EFI stators will melt an AGM, no idea what it would do to a lithium and I don't think you want to find out.

I have 3 separate independent circuits - Lead Acid for the EFI, 2x50 AH lithium for 24 v troller, 1x125 AH lithium for graphs, scope, pumps, lights.
    no issues with our lithium cranker on a merc pro xs system hence my post.

Whats the smallest crankin battery I can get? Just for cranking the engine? 98 175 EFI merc
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

14. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

15. BBC SPONSOR
    Whats the smallest crankin battery I can get? Just for cranking the engine? 98 175 EFI merc
    We have a 12v-105ah and a 12v-120ah. Both are All Purpose Lithiums for cranking.

15% off with code BBC15.

16. Member
    Min 800cca
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

17. Member
    No. Seperate the start and accessory batteries

18. Member
    Lead acid wet cell only you'll burn up your rectifiers. I added an agm and had to go back to wet cell after burning up the rectifiers, and they weren't cheap

19. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    our 105 ah cranker would be the ticket built in emergency jump button. Sale priced with BBC10 discount code

20. Member
    If you just want a battery for starting the engine, and there is nothing else connected to it, your best bet is a small marine flooded lead acid or AGM starting battery, say a group 24 or 27, whatever has the CCA/MCA you need for your engine. Anything else would be a waste of money, since you would not need to worry about reserve time or AH. Again, assuming you have nothing else connected to it, your battery should be back to 100% charge in just a few minutes after starting from the engine charging it.

Common in the offshore world. Those guys will have $500k in engines all starting with a cheap group 24 or 27 lead acid or AGM battery because that is all it does is start an engine and nothing else, and no on board plug in charger for the starting batteries. Not needed. 10 minutes of running and they are fully charged. They work, are cheap and reliable. Hell, my father has been using the same group 24 for 12 years on his Evinrude 115 for starting (nothing else connected to it, and there is no plug in charger for it, not needed).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast