SSR Hub Installation

Okay I have looked high and low and found nothing on how Mercury/Quicksilver recommend installing these. I had one dealer tell me it took 800,000 lbs to press it in. Hmmm the engineer in me thinks that might be a wee bit high, just a wee bit!

So any recommendations on how to install the hub? I am putting it in my spare prop.

For the record I got confused and ordered one for a 1" shaft, however my 2021 4s needs the 1.25" version. (If anyone needs a 1" hub, I can make you a deal!!)

Thanks!
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ed View Post
    Thanks bud. I am thinking about using a scissor jack under the pickup and pushing it in! I did some testing on equipment years ago doing something similar. Pics will follow, or I will make the news.
    The SSR hub is a royal pain in the ass to get in or out. I do this, but use a bottle jack with the appropriate sized socked on the end of it, lube the rubber strips on the hub with a light coating of lithium grease. get it in as far as I can by hand and use the jack to press it in, same with getting it out but in reverse order.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt James View Post
    The SSR hub is a royal pain in the ass to get in or out. I do this, but use a bottle jack with the appropriate sized socked on the end of it, lube the rubber strips on the hub with a light coating of lithium grease. get it in as far as I can by hand and use the jack to press it in, same with getting it out but in reverse order.
    Thanks Capt, I have a bottle jack as well. Once I get the new hub in I will experiment.
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ok folks... let's stick to documentable, factory-approved methods. Definitely leave the TUBE stuff behind.

Your new SSR hub kit comes complete with INSTRUCTIONS for proper installation. Mercury also issued a Service Bulletin explaining proper installation.

The following link can be found in the FAQ section at the top of this forum:

SSR Hub Kits

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Ok folks... let's stick to documentable, factory-approved methods. Definitely leave the TUBE stuff behind.

Your new SSR hub kit comes complete with INSTRUCTIONS for proper installation. Mercury also issued a Service Bulletin explaining proper installation.

The following link can be found in the FAQ section at the top of this forum:

SSR Hub Kits
    Awww come on Don, you're no fun!!! I have that one saved and printed out somewhere on my desk. I may try to document this when I get the hub in and share a video.

As always thank you for your help and willingness to share knowledge. And in some cases keep us from bodily harm doing stupid stuff.
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34