Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Was out today, actually went looking for wakes to get more comfortable with them lol. Perferct day to do it as there were PB's abound. As stated in the OP, I do usually slow and trim down/turn into them, but that set just caught me off guard.

I also recall why I switched from the Excel to the HIT, the Excel rides up my back for some reason. I guess I should tighten it down more, but it's pretty snug. Just seems to ride up, I'm always reaching back and tugging it down.

2. Member
    Years back wife and I were not going that fast at all , but hit a bunch of wakes , I hadn't trimmed down at all.. Boat went up on it's side ,I ended up sitting on the flour of the boat !
    To this day ,I don't know why my wife didn't go out ? It was a TX and a pal of ours told me, all he could see was the bottom of our boat ? I think we came in 2 nd in the TX ....

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinB View Post
    I forgot about this video. what kind of boat is that? Also, how was he im the water unconcious for 10 minutes lol. You would think they could spin back around and recover hi, quicker than that.
    Dominator or intimidator

As my pilot instructor once told me when landing, you are alive and survived, that is a successful landing.
    Last edited by BMCD; 05-31-2023 at 08:54 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinB View Post
    I forgot about this video. what kind of boat is that? Also, how was he im the water unconcious for 10 minutes lol. You would think they could spin back around and recover hi, quicker than that.
    That happened on Ross Barnett.

IIRC, the boat was a Legend Dominator 202 XLD with a 225 Pro Max.

The driver was experienced, and I believe (not sure) he worked at a prop place in Jackson...

Should have known better.
    Last edited by hatcreek; 05-31-2023 at 04:37 PM.
    Who controls John Gill?

6. Member
    I have no choice but to slow down at this point in the season. Nothing but X in front of my boat all the time, more like a washing machine than wakes. Impossible to read or get any consistency....
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

7. Member
    "It was scary enough that I think I'm going back to my Mustang Excel PFD and keep the HIT in the locker for use while fishing on rough days."

Here's some food for thought. While fishing Bass Champs championship in 2015 the first day of the tournament we had located fish ~35 miles from the ramp. After navigating the lock and the ensuing mad house leaving the lock becomes we were within 1/4 mile of where we were going to start. I hit the most mundane boat wake you can imagine - it was nothing. But it caused the bow to hook @ 75mph. My partner was ejected from the boat. Boat behind us said he went about 30' in the air. He does not remember the flight but does recall the landing. He said he thought he'd never stop going down - but he did. He was wearing a new Mustang inflatable - IT DID NOT INFLATE - ever. On the way up to the surface he was yanking on the manual inflate ring - it did not inflate. Had he been knocked unconscious who knows how that day would have ended. There is no way to absolutely test the device for auto inflation and know, 100%, that the next time it will inflate. Something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    "It was scary enough that I think I'm going back to my Mustang Excel PFD and keep the HIT in the locker for use while fishing on rough days."

Here's some food for thought. While fishing Bass Champs championship in 2015 the first day of the tournament we had located fish ~35 miles from the ramp. After navigating the lock and the ensuing mad house leaving the lock becomes we were within 1/4 mile of where we were going to start. I hit the most mundane boat wake you can imagine - it was nothing. But it caused the bow to hook @ 75mph. My partner was ejected from the boat. Boat behind us said he went about 30' in the air. He does not remember the flight but does recall the landing. He said he thought he'd never stop going down - but he did. He was wearing a new Mustang inflatable - IT DID NOT INFLATE - ever. On the way up to the surface he was yanking on the manual inflate ring - it did not inflate. Had he been knocked unconscious who knows how that day would have ended. There is no way to absolutely test the device for auto inflation and know, 100%, that the next time it will inflate. Something to think about.
    yeah, what I was trying to say was I am going back to the Excel for running, and keep the HIT in the locker to have if needed to switch to while fishing on rough days.

I think it's pretty rare for a HIT type to not inflate, but I suppose it could happen. And since the manual inflate did not work either makes one think there was something else wrong with that particular PFD possibly... Anyway there are several non-HIT Mustang models as well, which are essentially no different than the rest of the market's pill type PFD, ie Onyx, BPS, etc. and they suffer the same deficiencies.

9. Member
    What a ride!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    As my pilot instructor once told me when landing, you are alive and survived, that is a successful landing.
    LOL, your quote brought back memories of my flight instructor. I was a perfectionist and was really beating myself up if I didn't grease the landing on. My instructor finally told me, "stop obsessing about your landings, they are fine, as long as you don't hurt anyone or bend anything it is a good landing!" I'm not active flying right now after getting my instrument rating and flying around the country in A36 bonanzas I sure do miss it. Flying as a private individual like most everything has just gotten price ridiculous even more than it was. I had hopes the company I'm at now will get an aircraft but it ain't happening:-(

Quote Originally Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan View Post
    LOL, your quote brought back memories of my flight instructor. I was a perfectionist and was really beating myself up if I didn't grease the landing on. My instructor finally told me, "stop obsessing about your landings, they are fine, as long as you don't hurt anyone or bend anything it is a good landing!" I'm not active flying right now after getting my instrument rating and flying around the country in A36 bonanzas I sure do miss it. Flying as a private individual like most everything has just gotten price ridiculous even more than it was. I had hopes the company I'm at now will get an aircraft but it ain't happening:-(
    That's my problem, moved to remote area, and I cannot rent a plane to fly. have not flown in 1.5 years. only way i could is if i buy one.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

12. Member
    Annnd... My instructor said "When the plane clears the ground you will experience prop torque to the left. Counter it with right rudder!" Sho'nuff... wheels cleared the runway. Prop torque to the left so I stood on the right rudder. Bet that starboard wing tip wasn't 6" off the ground. Let's just say the instructor wasted no time gaining control!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    Annnd... My instructor said "When the plane clears the ground you will experience prop torque to the left. Counter it with right rudder!" Sho'nuff... wheels cleared the runway. Prop torque to the left so I stood on the right rudder. Bet that starboard wing tip wasn't 6" off the ground. Let's just say the instructor wasted no time gaining control!
    LOL, yep the old "P" factor that we learn about in our primary training. It is different for different aircraft. Your comment made me think of something that I figured out really early in my flight training. Sometimes our instructors can overemphasize things. I learned to be ready to react and give the aircraft the control inputs that are needed to "make" it do what I wanted it to do. Flying is one of those skills that I think is mostly science but also a little black magic. It's like trying to explain to a non pilot about landing. Yes you do certain things in a certain sequence but at the end when the wheels touch down there is a certain amount of well let's just say "art" involved. I love flying, hope the good Lord makes a way for me to be back in the air some day soon:-)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123