Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Glad it wasn't any worse than whats in the video.....I hate those boat wakes that are parallel when crossing.....I always slow down for them.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Trim down, slow down, get a good angle if possible, EASE OVER. Let the keel of the boat do keel stuff. Some hulls aren't nearly as forgiving as others. We all go to the school of hard knocks even when we think we're prepared.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

The school of hard knocks is a rough way to be educated!

3. Member
    Thanks for posting as a REMINDER to everyone! NOT to beat a dead horse BUT TRIM DOWN-SLOW DOWN.

We have all been there

4. Member
    Last year my wife in the boat I crossed some very strong pontoon boat wakes. I was running around 55 and though ill just slide right across. We all but wreaked right there. Thought the back of the boat was gonna pass us.
    My wife's knee hit the console so hard it had a bad bruise. Rookie mistake on my part and scared us to death.
    I now trim down slow down. I had no keel in the water so absolutely no control. Bad way to learn but I got it now lol
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

5. Member
    My boat tops out at 60, but I only run that in perfect conditions with no traffic. Most of the time, I'm cruising around 45-50 mph in good conditions and have no problem slowing down to whatever speed that is warranted for the condition. I have an old boat ('85 Skeeter with '85 Evinrude) that I want to keep as long as possible and am not looking to stroke my ego by going WOT all the time. It is easier to control my boat and watch out for others when I'm driving slower. I also save gas by going WOT, although I do try to find an opportunity for occasional WOT to help clean out my 2-stroke.

6. Member
    Nose into the waves and trim down slightly.

7. Member
    About 20 years ago I was out on the Delta with some friends in their new Centurian wake boat. This was probably the second time he had ever taken this boat out. My friend and his wife got into a huge fight and my friend was sitting up in the bow pissed off, and his wife was in the back. I got stuck driving back to the ramp. I had almost no boating experience at this time. I was driving up the main channel when I came upon a large coast guard cutter type boat that I had to pass and I was clueless on how to do this. I was doing probably 35-40 mph. I came upon him a bit faster than I expected, and as I cut out of his wake I hit the first roller which was huge. It felt like the boat came out of the water and then it basically torpedoed into the second roller. When we came back up out of it there was at least 18 inches of water in the cockpit and water was dripping off the tower. Nobody in the boat said a word, my pissed off buddy was even more pissed. I’m not sure how he even stayed in the boat. I flipped on the bilge pump and started slowly driving away. When I look up at the coast guard boat, there was probably 20 guys standing on the back looking at us. Not sure if they were preparing to rescue us or laughing at us. I still can’t believe no one got hurt and the boat didn’t sink. Definitely learned a lesson that day.

Watching this I was screaming turn left, turn left
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4weight View Post
    Pretty simple. Slow down
    Pack it up boys, case closed.

That was a pretty decent size boats wake you had to cross, as soon as you see something like that you need to be getting ready to slow down when you come upon it’s wake.

10. Member
    Well at least you were not this guy! Maybe watch a few videos on youtube on how to navigate boat wakes as a refresher for yourself.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Well at least you were not this guy! Maybe watch a few videos on youtube on how to navigate boat wakes as a refresher for yourself.

Damn he was already getting close to losing control before he even hit that boats wake, good reminder we’re not invincible in our little bass boats.

12. Member
    I can't even watch that. Dude is going so fast and out of control.
    2003 Triton TR186
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP
    Garmin Graphs and LS
    MK Ultrex 24v 80lb
    All Aboard Marine Transducer Pole
    Power Pole 8' Pro Series II Black
    2017 GMC Sierra 1500 All Terrain

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post

I can see why they closed comments on that video .

What was the guy even trying to accomplish? Just buzzing around wakes at 70 mph, a crash seemed inevitable.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I can see why they closed comments on that video .

What was the guy even trying to accomplish? Just buzzing around wakes at 70 mph, a crash seemed inevitable.
    I forgot about this video. what kind of boat is that? Also, how was he im the water unconcious for 10 minutes lol. You would think they could spin back around and recover hi, quicker than that.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinB View Post
    I forgot about this video. what kind of boat is that? Also, how was he im the water unconcious for 10 minutes lol. You would think they could spin back around and recover hi, quicker than that.
    Can't make out brand of boat but they probably didn't want to move him out of the water in case of neck/ back injury would be my guess?

16. Member
    Always wear your tether guys.......and slow down.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

17. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    I cross em more at a 45 and full send baby!

Slick water…very hard to see wakes. Have to expect one if another boat passes by you.

Been there, try to stay away from when you can.

2009 ELITE 210

20. Member
    My buddy this this Friday running about 60 and did not see the wave and I was not looking ahead.
    Through me a couple feet in the air and i thought I was going for a swim. I may have done that once or twice also.
    2021 Phoenix 919
    2021 Mercury 225

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast