2006 optimax 115.

Hello, new member here- I purchased a 2006 stratos 180fs roughly a month ago. It is powered with a 2006 optimax 115. My last boat was a 15' alum with an older 50hp johnson so this is a big step for us. (My family) I've spent the last month going over this and that getting it all in shape. The boat had sat since last Aug. I finally dropped it in the water last Friday to make a few laps around the lake. At first, it performed beautifully. It cruised at around 35mph for several laps. After I'd satisfied my wife and kid with laps around the lake in our new boat, I brought it to idle and shut it off. I wanted to mess with livewells, electronics, trolling motor, etc. Afterwards, (maybe 15 min) I hit the key, and went to take off and couldn't seem to get the boat back up on step. Like a major loss of power and the boat died intermittently while at idle. I got no funny noises, no nothing.
    I put back on the trailer and headed home.
    Today has been the first chance I've had to look at it, I pulled the plugs and they look horrible, so I've ordered new ones. The boat has approx 20 gallons of gas that has been in it since last August, unstabilized. I think haste got the best of me here and I plan to drain it all and replace the filters/line.

I've read up on air compressors going out on these engines and am curious as to how to test it. Any ideas? I pulled the belt (it was trashed, too. So it's on order aswell) I turned the compressors pulley and it seems to have adequate compression and operate normally- No play, no sounds.

Do any of you have any insight? Anything else I can check? Is it safe to think it's got a bunch of old fuel and needs drained/flushed- tuned up and tried again?

Pretty familiar with outboard engines. My uncle is a retired marine merc, johnson/omc/evin. Yamaha, Honda mechanic. I worked summers for him as a kid and I have him to bounce ideas and questions off of. But he's recently retired and in Hawaii for the next month. So I don't want to bother him with work.
    Thanks- Tommy.

2. Member
    Sorry, I figured I should add serial number from engine.
    1B244684 2006 115 ELPTO

3. Member
    tests for spark and fuel psi
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Was your outing on Spanaway Lake?

If the belt was in poor condition it's quite possible air pressure was below spec and could have contributed to fouled plugs and poor running. Before installing the new belt, using an inch lb torque wrench, insure you have 70in lbs prior to tensioner contacting the stop.

There are great FAQs at the top of the 2.5L & 3L forums with a whole lot of info that applies to all Optimax engines. I'd make sure all the items in this topic are up to date before running it again, note service intervals are annual or hours whichever comes first - Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines

More very helpful topics:

"BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS" - UPDATED LIST 7/20!

Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations

Compressor
    STRAINER
    Cleaning

Proper Warmup and Cold Water Operation

Engine Shutdown Precautions after a HARD RUN (Especially in cold water)

1.5L (75-125hp 3 cyl) Optimax Water Pump Replacement
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    One item we commonly see on these is a loose reed retaining rivet in the air compressor's cylinder head. And this may have a sudden (even an intermittent) onset.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor