1994 Evinrude Intruder Carb Work?

Hey all. Hooked my boat up to the muffs this morning and she started right up, great news! Just kidding. I took the hood off just to listen a little better and noticed a nice waterfall of gas from the backside of the carbs. Took a quick video and immediately shut it off. Now, I am a little shocked at how quick it started and how well it ran with THAT much gas running out but here we are. You can see the video in the link below for reference. What I'm wondering is, will that much gas be coming out from a stuck float or just a dirty carb? I haven't really done much engine work, but I'm super handy and a DIYer at most things so I think I could service them no problem, but just wanted some additional opinions before I go yanking them off. Full disclosure I didn't use it for about a year and a half now, but that isn't THAT long for an outboard to sit from what I've seen others pick up and get running again. Thoughts?

https://imgur.com/a/rul9MFS
    1994 Ranger 482VS Bass Masters Classic Edition #51

2. Member
    Sure the fuel can flow. Remember the fuel pump is pumping when the engine is running. Maybe give the float bowl a tap with the handle of a screw driver.

3. Member
    I took apart a carb and it looks really good. I noticed if I prime the bulb gas still comes out around where the holes the balance tube goes into. All those entry points have two o rings on them that don’t look too bad but they would have to be for gas to pour out around them no? I’m gonna order a few and swap them out to see if maybe they just shrunk or rotted a bit from sitting?

4. Member
    You took apart one carb? There are six. The bulb will get firm as the float bowls fill. Meaning no more fuel will pass so there is still a float needle that is not seating.

5. Member
    Did you watch the video? Gas is pouring out around the balance tube entry points into the intake. Especially at the top entry point on the left. So I took that carb off and inspected it. I know there are six carbs but I’m not going to take them all apart or rebuild them if the balance tube rings are shot and that’s letting half the gas being pumped pour out. I can’t get the float bowls to fill because it’s all leaking out at that entry point. Even if a float needle isn’t seating gas shouldn’t be shooting out around those orings.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Replace the O rings no big deal.

7. Member
    Yea hoping that's all it is. I'm just thankful I took the hood off for some reason even though it started so fast after sitting. Could have been dumping fuel for a while without knowing, or worse haha. Also fun that the seals are $5 a pop for those tiny suckers of course!

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Lockeman's should have them in stock.

9. Member
    I ended up ordering them from Crowley last night. I'll have to keep Lockeman's in mind for future reference. I work downtown and could have swung by on my way home.

10. Member
    Good news. Swapped out all the orings and no more leaking! It looks like the upper right carb is letting a tiny amount of gas out of a seal so I’ll likely rebuild it. If the rest are seeming fine should I leave them or should you rebuild them all if you’re doing one?

11. Member
    At the age of the motor, when you take carbs off one side all on that side at least should be done. But to my way of thinking, I’d do all of them for piece of mind.! Age is not kind to rubber and gaskets. Good luck and follow what champion man says by all means.! He knows what he’s doing, and so does big hare and others on this board. I’m just a back yard self mechanic and these guys are pros.

12. Member
    I have a strange additional question. My motor does not have a plate on it with the model information. I've looked everywhere, even the original owner had a note that for financing they had to use the stamp/plug on the power head for documentation purposes. Is there really no other way to find out the exact model of my motor if that plate is missing? Is it not listed anywhere else on the motor? I don't know if this was because they only made 52 of these boats each year for the classic and something was custom? Or what the deal is. There doesn't even appear to be a spot on the motor where the plate used to be.

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Call BRP Tuesday with the serial number they may be able to look it up for you.