Question Tilt Trim and Power Switch Question / Problem

I had a couple issues this past weekend and wanted to ask the group, wondering if others have experienced this. I want to mention that I have not had any issues up until this weekend, and these issues developed after pulling the boat 200 miles in a absolute down pour rain (not sure if this had something to do with the issues).

I have a 2021 Mercury 250R, and a 2022 Bullet 21SDC.

We got to the lake unloaded and everything seemed normal, after about 20 minutes being on the lake the power trim would not go up or down from any of the (4) switches in the boat (including the switch on the engine cowl), then they would all would work off and on, when it worked all switches would work and when it wouldn't work non of the switches would work (including the switch on the motor cowl). I did some trouble shooting and have determined that when its not working, there is no power getting to the trim motor (I used a test light on the wires that plug directly into the trim motor to rule out a possible trim motor issue).

Another issue that developed is the main power switch on the dash control panel, when in the off position the red indicator light next to the switch is still lit up but very faint, but when turning on its bright as it should be. When in the off position nothing is getting power so the only issue is the light is remaining slightly on.

Just wondering if others have experienced anything like this? The trim seems to be working now, but I'm very hesitant to think it was just wet when non of the switches would work. I also looked for a possible short or loose wire but have not found a smoking gun yet.

I appreciate any thoughts / advice.

2. Member
    My thought is that these 2 issues are too coincidental to be separate or to have randomly occurred at the same time.

The power switch light being sorta illuminated in the off position tells me that somewhere we've got positive shorting to ground, or simply a grounding issue. 12v DC does all kinds of weird things when there's a grounding issue.

Being an observer looking in, I'd ask;
    - has there been any work (wiring, loosening of connections, etc) in the recent past that could have been jarred on your 200mi trip?
    - same with the panel up at the bow. Have you had any reason to go behind that panel?
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

3. Member
    djb750, very good thought process, and I agree completely its too coincidental not to be related. The roads I recently traveled are as rough as they come, absolutely horrible roads. I haven't had any of the panels off, however, a few months ago the live well stopped working and it was a result of a lose connection under the dash in a junction box. I will revisit that box as there may be another issue.

Thank you for the advice.

4. Member
    Mercury has a pretty decent troubleshooting procedure for the trim circuit in the Merc diagnostic manual. I have the manual.
    I can take pics and upload them here if you'd want to see them. just let me know.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

5. Member
    I would think the dimly lit power indicator lamp is just moisture in that toggle switch , the trim i would first examine the trim relays and connections, I would think its two separate problems going on
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djb750 View Post
    Mercury has a pretty decent troubleshooting procedure for the trim circuit in the Merc diagnostic manual. I have the manual.
    I can take pics and upload them here if you'd want to see them. just let me know.
    This would be extremely helpful, only if you have time, but much appreciated!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by av View Post
    I would think the dimly lit power indicator lamp is just moisture in that toggle switch , the trim i would first examine the trim relays and connections, I would think its two separate problems going on
    I appreciate the reply. Between the pouring rain and the rough roads I think it took a toll on it for sure. My first thought was moisture in both cases, but not sure.

8. Member
    I haven't had a chance to even look at it since I've got back, but this morning when I walked out into the garage where the boat is sitting, I noticed the power switch was lite as bright as ever, thinking I left it on, I checked it, it was in the off position, but as bright as if it where on. I flipped the livewell switch just to see if it was actually power on when in the off position, but its not, so not sure if it in the switch itself?. I disconnected the battery until I have time to look at it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by av View Post
    Time for a new power switch. Also, the bow trim switch might be the easiest to access, if you have total failure of trim. The center wire, usually red, wire should always have 12 volts. That rain might have been a blessing, showing weaknesses in your systems. It is possible but not probable the main switch killed the trim but I doubt it.

I don't have a Bullet.

10. Member
    Thanks everyone for the info, I always appreciate everyone on this site being so very helpful and thought I would follow up and with where I'm at now.

So I unhooked the battery and let everything dry out for about week. Hooked every thing back up and the mystery light on the power switch was gone and seems to be working properly. All the trim switches are working at this 10 seconds, still not 100% sure there isn't an issue somewhere that may reappear at some point.

I think at this point I'm going to run it and see if the trim acts up again. Its difficult to fix a problem thats not there.

Thanks again everyone!