Since there's been some talk on here about using lithium starting batteries on our 250SS, I tried an expensive experiment to see if converting over to a dedicated Optima Group 34 cranking battery would fix my random fault code issues when starting.

Previously, I was using a Lithium Pros 215ah Lithium Battery that can be used as a starting battery as well. My issue was during half way through the day, I would get some random fault codes that would quickly clear once the motor was started. However, it could of been that my motor's battery connector wasn't directly connected to the battery and the kill switch might of been the issue. I haven't tried connecting the motor's positive battery cables directly to the lithium battery to see if the problem still exists. I did run an Ionic 125 ah Lithium battery with a kill switch before on my previous boat that had a 250SS and had zero issues.

What I did do, was purchased a new Optima Group 34 Marine Starting battery since it was the lightest battery that met Suzuki's specs (also if you are an ABA member, you get 25% if you order directly from Optima). I connected the motor directly to the battery with no kill switch involved and connected the ground leads together between the starting and lithium battery to ensure that the NMEA 2000 network would all work accordingly. Additionally, I purchased a 5 bank Minn Kota PC Charger to charge all 5 batteries up and might purchase a Victron DC DC charger so I can charge the Lithium house battery when running. So far, the fault codes have gone away and the having the motor connected directly to the Optima battery hasn't drained the battery when sitting for a period of time. Plus I did connect the kill switch that I have as an emergency jumper should the Optima starting battery fail and I could the Lithium in an emergency situaiton.

Lastly, in the picture below, I saw on FB where someone had loose wire terminals where the 60 amp fuse is located that were causing them starting issues and random fault codes. Plus I also highlighted where the NMEA 2000 network connects into fuse block for those who want to add that function to their boats. I hope this post helps people out.

suzuki wiring 2.jpg