Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

200 Mercury rpm fluctuations

New guy here and my first post , thanks for allowing me aboard

2020 Mercury 200 rpm is fluctuating 20-100 rpm at idle , 40-50 at cruise speed
    Wonder if someone else has had the same issues, started about 2 months ago

full service
    plugs, double checked gap all burning the same by color
    new Racor and engine filter
    no fuel restrictions, replaced all hoses fuel flows easily
    fuel pressure at 45 psi

what I noticed yesterday was that my voltage is now moving .1-.3 volts also where it would hold at 14.2 normally now 14.2-14.5 fluctuating
    Rpm used to hold steady at 600 at idle
    engine is not a smooth as it used to be, vibration

any insight would be great as dealers are 2 weeks from looking at it

serial 2b692965
    Last edited by Salmonkiller01; 05-23-2023 at 07:36 PM.

2. Member
    If someone can tell me if their digital gauge fluctuates at idle that would be helpful

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salmonkiller01 View Post
    If someone can tell me if their digital gauge fluctuates at idle that would be helpful
    I have a 2020 250 Pro XS fourstroke and I noticed my motor is not running as smooth as it used too. It has a vibration or a small twitch at idle in neutral and when I put it in gear. As soon as I give it gas and running on pad it runs fine. It will twitch again when I come off pad. I have noticed on my smartcraft gauge the Rpms fluctuate from around 580-610 at idle. I had it serviced last fall at a dealer and they said they couldn’t find any issue with it but the motor never did it when it was new. I’ve been wondering about this myself.

My 200 pro xs has always since new had idle rpm movement according to my smartcraft of 580-620. It runs fine otherwise but I have never taken any notice of voltage. It used to on occasions also do what you suggest when just on plane say anywhere from 3500 to 4000 and if I tapped the pedal it would be fine. It just stopped by itself however I have been running 87 grade gas where before I ran higher octane
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

5. Member
    Thanks for the info, it definitely is not smooth at an idle, noticeable vibration. Even when I put in troll control is jumps around. It used to be steady.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting (serial number). Thanks!

Make sure all of your plug wires snap firmly onto the spark plugs. Have seen a number of wires damaged from improperly grasping them to remove.

Most of the variations you are describing are actually quite normal.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I ordered a new set of plug wires and another set of plugs, going to try that as plugs usually fix this issue from what I have read Maybe I got a bad plug and or damaged a plug wire

8. Member
    Fixed. Added aerial to original post

9. Member
    Salmonkiller01 I sent you a private message

10. Member
    Replied

11. Member
    The dealer is taking it in tomorrow. Hopefully have it fixed and will let everyone know what the issue was.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Update. Dealer found o2 sensor failed and ecm had an update to do with fuel calibration.
    I will launch tonight and let everyone know as it sounds like I am not alone with this issue
    Engine has 208 hours and always had a rich exhaust smell idling. Plugs looked a bit rich so hopefully a good run will make it perfect

not fixed runs the same. Uhg
    Last edited by Salmonkiller01; 05-25-2023 at 11:03 PM.

14. Member
    When key is turned on is it low pressure pump you hear or high pressure? Or both?

you tube showing cruise and idle
    fluctuations
    https://youtube.com/shorts/eSjO9c6lVL4?feature=share

fuel pump squeel
    https://youtube.com/shorts/qMg2OIktsWg?feature=share
    Last edited by Salmonkiller01; 05-26-2023 at 12:06 AM.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hard to diagnose "sounds" from videos, but I don't hear anything disturbing.

RPM fluctuations occur all the time. 20-70 RPM's variance is rather common.

So... let's get some specific info:

-Did you replace BOTH the spark plugs AND the plug wires?

-Do you have PRINTOUTS and a RECORDING from the G3 Diagnostic System? (I could review if so)

-Have they tried a Cylinder Misfire Test on the water, under load to monitor the RPM loss for each cylinder?

16. Member
    Talked to my dealer today and they want me to run the boat for an hour and see what it does
    when I get home putting in the 2nd new set of plugs and all new wires( genuine mercury and reasonable)
    no printout given to me just work order saying what they did.

if the problems persist loping idle as I can not hear a miss and engine roughness the dealer wants it back to take for a run and have computer on it to see what the problem is while talking to mercury

Mercury rep is going thru the engine history data also

Starting to think it is me being paranoid but I swear it never ran this poorly before and troll control was solid. This motor smoothness is not even close to my old Verado

I do appreciate everyone’s input. Great community here
    Last edited by Salmonkiller01; 05-26-2023 at 06:39 PM.

17. Member
    IMG_2579.jpegTook the boat out for a good run idle to wide open throttle
    Rpm fluctuates 50 rpm at idle now
    wide open throttle 5850rpm
    runs smooth and good
    still has an idle vibration

Put new wires on today and put a new plug in to see how it is burning( other plugs are all gray/white 15 hours)
    After 2 hours variable rpm it is white

Is the white normal after such a short time?
    Last edited by Salmonkiller01; 05-27-2023 at 01:13 PM.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes- especially if you ran it in the 3000-5000 RPM range a decent amount.

19. Member
    Thanks for the reply takes concern away. Just going to run it as it goes good just some rpm change at idle. Maybe an injector gummed up , who knows. Hits wide open throttle easily, lots of power.

so all in all my o2 sensor was causing 100rpm fluxuation.

20. Member
    The saga continues. My motor still shakes at idle and rpm fluctuates constantly. I did find that where my flush hose connects to the engine block is leaking and the engine harness that runs in that area is covered in salt. Going to pull lower cowlings off and inspect the leak and harness as no one can look at the engine for over a month.
    anyone have this issue?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast