Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator

How to remove stuck plastic thread from Fuel water sensor on VST?

Serial number # 1B7777941
    Hey guys, My Water fuel sensor on the VST on my optimax corroded/ melted away somehow and was leaking gas. I got a new one in, and while trying to remove the old one, the plastic nut that sticks out of the vst snapped clean off and now the threaded portion is stuck inside the VST. I tried an EZ out for sheared bolts but that didn't work. Anyone got any suggestions on how to remove the threaded portion now stuck inside the VST without damaging the metal threads? Thanks!
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I've used:

-Torx bits

-Flat-Blade Screwdriver

-Easy Out

-Drill and Tap (worst case scenario).

Make sure no debris is left in the filter chamber, and no debris is left in the cowling (anything loose WILL end up in the engine).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5/16 or 1/4 left hand drill bit, reversible low rpm drill Moter, should come right out. Just be careful to keep it aligned up with hole and push on the drill firmly, it will hang up in the plastic and come right out, Be sure clean chips out of the vst
    Should remove the vst to do this and mount in a vice..

Next time you do this, pull the wires out and use a 6 point socket to remove it.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 05-22-2023 at 10:40 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    ^^^^^^ +1 cut the wires use box end wrench
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    got it removed, it had basically melted into the thread on the vst. Had to use a pick and a set of needle nose pliers to get it all out. All good now and ready to get her back on the water!
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor