New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Ranger style plug on trolling motor??

I'm using an older style Ranger plug on my Ultrex and lately it hasn't had the balls it use too,I checked my batteries both at 12.71 and made sure connections were tight and clean went to the plug to make sure I was getting 24volts to the motor and found a wire that was burnt at the end next to the connection to plug. So I found another plug my spare in the cellar and I'm going to replace the burnt connection and plug .My question is on the older ranger plug it has a jumper from one hole to the next,do I leave that on or remove it the plug that I have on there now doesn't have one it is on the negative side if that matters?? By the way I'm getting 25.2 at the plug IMG_6797.JPG IMG_6798.JPG
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    Look at this thread. Also make sure that plug your installing 60 amp or more.

Marinco 12VCPS3 70A Trolling Motor Plug (bbcboards.net)
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

3. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Read that and that is the way mine is wired but doesn't mention if I need to remove the jumper from the plug itself which is my question at this time???

4. Member
    I would not use that plug. Get you a 60-70 amp plug and you will never look back. This is the pay me now or pay me later deal. either way you may have to pay nd the later pay could be a whole lot more. Do you feel lucky?

5. Member
    remove jumper at the plug, check voltage between the two wires coming from batteries if you have 24 plus volts you don't need jumper on plug. get new plugs. wouldn't use the one in picture.

6. Member
    I use the big Minn Kota trolling motor plug, and I also rewired from a 12/24V stock Skeeter switch & 3-pin plug to just strictly 24V to the Minn Kota plug. You may also want to check that you are using at least 8 ga wire; if not, pull new wires.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    Read that and that is the way mine is wired but doesn't mention if I need to remove the jumper from the plug itself which is my question at this time???
    Twitch that jumper is not needed with the modern system. Go to minnkota site and look in support. there is a link to their recommended wiring size and diagrams. make sure your wires are 8 gauge or even better 6ga and then only use two wires from the batteries.
    use a good quality 60-70 amp plug and use a 60amp breaker at the battery. some guys are using a switchable breaker and hardwiring the t motor.
    I didnt want to hardwire mine so i bought these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5XQQNV...roduct_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PTHKSK...roduct_details
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

8. Member
    Take the jumper off. You should cut the burnt wires back to a place where the wire (not the insulation) is clean and unburnt. You can see how important well made, tight connections are in this system. Since you only have 2 wires someone probably already took the boat wiring from 4 wires to 2 wires. 2 wires is simpler but doubles the current in the boat wires from the batteries to the T/M.

9. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Alright took the jumper off and cut back wire and replaced the plug also had a spare in the cellar, pretty sure that was the problem will keep you posted on outcome

10. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Took out the boat tonight 10 to 15mph wind and could feel the difference right after I dropped the motor in the water even on lower power settings ,on 10 now getting about 2.5 to 2.7 out of the Ultrex with wells full and big motor in the water so all is well.