Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

1998 Mercury 200 EFI fuel line

I believe I am having fuel issues. When coming off pad and idling for a few minutes it will die until I pump the bulb then it will fire right up and continue running. The bulb still has pressure but I don't believe its like it used to be. Also after an idle, when I try to get on pad, it will bog down then take off.

What size line do I need and is there a certain one everyone recommends?

Side note, not sure if it's related but just throwing it out there. Stator and rectifier were replaced last fall.

SN: 0G752699
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 05-22-2023 at 09:33 AM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks for posting. I have a 1996 EFI and have some similar issues. Mine wouldn't start after awhile and it turned out to be my trigger. But I'm now having your same issue you described above. Except my primer bulb is usually empty when it happens and requires a few pumps about three times a day. I've checked spark and fuel pressure and it's all good. Also my I sent my ECU in for testing and it passed several times.

I also have replaced all my fuel line but it's extra long. My next steps, when I have time, is to shorten the fuel line and replace the primer bulb. The bulb is less than a year old but it's an Attwood and maybe it's defective..... Keep us posted.
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

4. Member
    Definitely get rid of excess fuel line and replace the Attwood with a new Mercury bulb, it does matter.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmelford View Post
    Thanks for posting. I have a 1996 EFI and have some similar issues. Mine wouldn't start after awhile and it turned out to be my trigger. But I'm now having your same issue you described above. Except my primer bulb is usually empty when it happens and requires a few pumps about three times a day. I've checked spark and fuel pressure and it's all good. Also my I sent my ECU in for testing and it passed several times.

I also have replaced all my fuel line but it's extra long. My next steps, when I have time, is to shorten the fuel line and replace the primer bulb. The bulb is less than a year old but it's an Attwood and maybe it's defective..... Keep us posted.
    As a reminder, we have a strict "one engine/poster per thread" policy here in the forums. This helps to avoid confusion when trying to review a post, and also prevents what's commonly referred to as "post hi-jacking".

Realize neither are your intention... just please keep your engine in it's own separate post from here forward. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    10-4 Don
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

7. Member
    Thanks for the link Don! Everything has been ordered.

8. Member
    Duece22, did you ever figure this out?

9. Member
    Duece22, did you ever figure this out?
    Replaced fuel lines,bulb and going to pick up pulse pump kit today from local dealer. Ran it with new bulb and lines and it ran alot stronger. I didn't measure but it appeared the line going from tank to bulb was to small as well.

Replaced fuel

10. Member
    aftermarket = junk
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Member
    Thanks for sharing your progress. Keep us posted. I opened up a separate thread for my engine.

12. Member
    Circle back to this issue.. it appeared again today along with a sluggish hole shot. Sounds like it almost bogs down then takes off. Top end speed was fine still.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Pumping bulb firm before EVERY engine start?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Pumping bulb firm before EVERY engine start?
    Yes it is firm...also, During a long idle it will sputter out. Crank it up 4 or 5 times and then it runs for a while.

15. Member
    You said the primer bulb is firm when answering Don’s question. Is it so firm that it doesn’t contract?

16. Member
    You said the primer bulb is firm when answering Don’s question. Is it so firm that it doesn’t contract?
    You could still squeeze it some but not much.

17. Member
    may need to monitor fuel psi when problem is occurring , possible electric pump failing
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    may need to monitor fuel psi when problem is occurring , possible electric pump failing
    Link to how to do that?

19. Member
    fuel psi gage installed on test port test run engine duplicate problem observe fuel psi drop (if any ) record needs 36 -39 psi

20. Member
    Joe - confirming how to do this? Need to pull cowling off, attach a guage and hose to the test port while running on the lake. Monitor pressure while running well and when the issue arises. Correct?

If you don't have a gauge, you can usually get a loaner from a place like Autozone.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast