Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Why do some of you post in a forum titled “Increasing Your Faith” if your whole purpose is to try and justify your lack thereof?
    You’re not here to debate. Just argue. And to try (unsuccessfully) to chip away at other’s foundation for their faith from what I see.
    Sad really.
    RazorCat
    Thank you for bringing up an excellent observation, which though it seems obvious, it is not obvious to the insulting posters.
    We try to be tolerant as long as it is kept civil.

May y'all have a very blessed day filled with the grace of Christ,
    Frank

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rds_nc View Post
    So can you point out examples of the church being on the vanguard of the abolitionist movement?
    Many churches in NYS are well know for helping with the underground railroad, however, my personal opinion, I strongly believe that the church should not be directly involved in politics of any form, since the only time Christ was involved in the politica of the day, it was to protest the abuse of God's house.

3. Member
    So can you point out examples of the church being on the vanguard of the abolitionist movement?
    Can we agree that the Bible is against slavery?
    exodus 21:16 He who kidnaps a man and sells him, or if he is found in his hand, shall surely be put to death.
    2012 Ranger Z521 2023 Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    Exodus 21:2 If you buy a Hebrew slave he may serve no more than six years. Set him free in the seventh year and he will owe you nothing for his freedom.

Deuteronomy 15: 12-18 talks about Hebrew men and women who were sold to Hebrews. They were to serve six years and then be set free. They were not to be sent away empty handed but furnished liberally from the owners flock, threshing floor, and wine press of what God had blessed him with. The owner should remember that he was a slave in Egypt before God redeemed him.
    In verses 16 and 17 it outlines what is to happen if a slave loves his owner and wants to remain with him. The owner thrusts and awl through the ear of the slave and the slave will be his servant forever.

I consider myself to be such a bondservant of Christ as I have chosen to serve Him forever and count it a great joy to be His slave.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Exodus 21:2 If you buy a Hebrew slave he may serve no more than six years. Set him free in the seventh year and he will owe you nothing for his freedom.

Deuteronomy 15: 12-18 talks about Hebrew men and women who were sold to Hebrews. They were to serve six years and then be set free. They were not to be sent away empty handed but furnished liberally from the owners flock, threshing floor, and wine press of what God had blessed him with. The owner should remember that he was a slave in Egypt before God redeemed him.
    In verses 16 and 17 it outlines what is to happen if a slave loves his owner and wants to remain with him. The owner thrusts and awl through the ear of the slave and the slave will be his servant forever.

I consider myself to be such a bondservant of Christ as I have chosen to serve Him forever and count it a great joy to be His slave.
    This is a good time to look at the difference between servitude v slavery as we know it. Capture and enslave v people selling themselves to pay off debt, etc.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mram10us View Post
    This is a good time to look at the difference between servitude v slavery as we know it. Capture and enslave v people selling themselves to pay off debt, etc.
    You are absolutely correct.

The examples I mentioned were not of slaves who were captured like wild animals but of fellow Hebrews whose servitude was temporary unless they chose to remain in servitude.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    You are absolutely correct.

The examples I mentioned were not of slaves who were captured like wild animals but of fellow Hebrews whose servitude was temporary unless they chose to remain in servitude.
    Yes sir. Not aimed at you, brother. Non Christians usually don't know the difference, as you know

8. Member
    Sad but true.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

Can we agree that the Bible is against slavery?
    exodus 21:16 He who kidnaps a man and sells him, or if he is found in his hand, shall surely be put to death.
    Sorry, can’t do it. As was pointed out it allows for slavery a few years at a time. So it’s ‘just the tip’ in the forced labor market. Since the Jews were freed slaves from Egypt I would have expected a more black and white position on the topic.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

10. Member
    Sorry, can’t do it. As was pointed out it allows for slavery a few years at a time. So it’s ‘just the tip’ in the forced labor market.........................
    Can you tell us were does it say what you stated above in the bible? actual passages would be very helpful in supporting your accusations.

11. Member
    Sorry, can’t do it. As was pointed out it allows for slavery a few years at a time. So it’s ‘just the tip’ in the forced labor market. Since the Jews were freed slaves from Egypt I would have expected a more black and white position on the topic.
    Can you define slavery? If you mean indentured servitude, then the Bible supports it. If you mean slavery as depicted by blacks from africa sold and brought by ships, can you point out where the Bible supports it?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Can you tell us were does it say what you stated above in the bible? actual passages would be very helpful in supporting your accusations.

13. Member
    7 Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return.
    Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt.
    8 So don’t bother correcting mockers;
    they will only hate you.
    But correct the wise,
    and they will love you.
    9 Instruct the wise,
    and they will be even wiser.
    Teach the righteous,
    and they will learn even more.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

14. Member
    Jeff,
    Thank you for your well made point, though we should not contend with a fool without cause, I try to reply to those who willfully attack God without cause, without being contentious by using or asking for scriptural passage.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    7 Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return.
    Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt.
    8 So don’t bother correcting mockers;
    they will only hate you.
    But correct the wise,
    and they will love you.
    9 Instruct the wise,
    and they will be even wiser.
    Teach the righteous,
    and they will learn even more.
    The replies are more for those that read this actually looking for the truth. Rex and rds know better now. The next guy might not :)

16. Member
    Truth!
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

17. Member
    The replies are more for those that read this actually looking for the truth. Rex and rds know better now. The next guy might not :)
    You are bring up an excellent point on the matter of being a watchman for the Word, which is what God instructs us to do in Ezekiel 3:17-21 as a Christian duty.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    You are bring up an excellent point on the matter of being a watchman for the Word, which is what God instructs us to do in Ezekiel 3:17-21 as a Christian duty.
    Love that passage! Not arguing with Jeff La, since he is quoting the Bible. Seems to be a lot of aspects to look at like Paul patiently preaching for days to get the jews to get it :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12