2004 200 efi riddle

Serial #OT945988
    Discovered a few drops of what I thought was lower unit oil the other day. Lower went to shop for pressure testing and seal/bushing replacement. Boat without lower is in garage where I’m still seeing what I assume now is 2 cycle oil.

Trim motor down to normal operating position there’s no oil, trim up to trailering position and it’ll leave a few drops on the floor overnight.

I used an endoscope to look around and in behind the side mount oil reservoir along with several other areas I couldn’t see with just a flashlight and I can’t find anything suspect. Very clean overall under the cowl and low hours for 19 years old.

Any ideas where it could be coming from? I’ve had a lot of extended idling hours lately if that matters. No alarms and running great as always.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Was there oil on the top of the water pump housing?

Driveshaft oily?

Oil up inside the driveshaft housing?

All of these are potential signs of a leaking lower crankshaft seal.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Was there oil on the top of the water pump housing?

Driveshaft oily?

Oil up inside the driveshaft housing?

All of these are potential signs of a leaking lower crankshaft seal.
    I did not get close enough when it was being removed to say there was or there wasn’t. If this is the case it doesn’t make me feel any better so I’ll wait and see once it’s installed. The tech did say the top of the water pump housing was wet with oil. I will look up in housing when I get a chance.
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-23-2023 at 04:35 AM.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

Appears it’s dripping off a small splined shaft.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    I did not get close enough when it was being removed to say there was or there wasn’t. If this is the case it doesn’t make me feel any better so I’ll wait and see once it’s installed. The tech did say the top of the water pump housing was wet with oil. I will look up in housing when I get a chance.
    idication of crankshaft seals leaking
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    idication of crankshaft seals leaking
    Sounds expensive. Anyone have a ball park cost of repair?
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not really that bad- powerhead has to be removed, gasket replaced, and either the endcap/seal carrier- OR the seals and o-ring.

Many prefer to replace the entire seal carrier assembly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor