Broken battery - cleaning up the acid?

Finally uncovered my boat this past week, and found out my starting battery had literally broken. The maintenance caps came off, and the top was separating from the case. There is battery acid in the battery tray and in the compartment. I carefully removed the battery to dispose of it. I quickly dumped two boxes of baking soda everywhere that looked wet, and have left it to soak up the acid.

Anyone know what I need to do next to clean this up and get the replacement battery installed so I'm back up and running?

Thanks,

Dave

2. Member
    keep applying baking soda till it stops fizzing, and let it soak then rinse with soapy water , wonder what caused that battery to split ??

Lead Acid batteries swell with age, if it was older battery it may have just split from the swelling.

4. Member
    Thanks for the tips on cleaning this mess up. It was my own fault. I bought this boat used several years ago. I have replaced the TM batteries a couple times now. But since I ONLY fish TM only lakes, the outboard hasn't been started in years. The cranking battery is only used for my fish finder, and I just plain forgot to check it every so often. When I got it out, the date on it was Feb of 2013. Lesson learned