Rt188 auto /manual bilge

I have an 15 RT 188 that came with manual bilge pump. Worked properly but replaced it with Bass Pro auto / manual pump. The factory pump had black and brown wires. The BPS pump has black brown and red. I hooked up black to black, brown to brown ( going to dash switch) and red to positive batt post ( with fuse). The pump works properly with the float switch but will not operate with dash switch unless I remove the red wire from batt ( or pull the fuse). Any thoughts?

2. Member
    I would guess the brown was the permanent live and the red the switched live from what you describe

3. Member
    Tried swapping them out. With brown going to pos. Batt. And red going to dash switch. The dash switch does not work BUT the switch is lit up ( like it is on) no matter the position of the switch.

4. Member
    Maybe the switch has gone bad then?

5. Member
    I think the switch is ok because when it is hooked up brown to brown and fuse is pulled from red wire it works and lights up correctly, of corse the auto switch doesn’t work with fuse pulled.
    Thanks for the reply

6. Member
    Think you have to run red wire to switch on dash top is auto bottom is manual