Thread: Megabass P5 FMJ

Megabass P5 FMJ

Looking for some feedback on the new version P5 FMJ. I owned the previous model and loved the deep load it had while fighting smallies curious if that particular action made its way into the newer model. I'm really enjoying my BMG so much I'm considering selling my NRX+ 873 and 893 and snatching the FMJ. Thanks

2. Member
    I've had it for a few months now. I really like it. It's quite a beast of a rod for flipping and pitching.

3. Member
    It has quickly become one of my favorite sticks of all time. Have used mine for both jigs and soft plastics. Yes it does load up very nicely. The BMG has a softer first 1/4 of the rod and has a deeper load than the FMJ. The FMJ has a faster tip but loads very nicely. I’m surprised that I have not seen much chatter about these rods since release. The USA P5 destroyer rods have been an absolute joy to fish. I have an NRX plus 873 as well. It has not been out since the P5’s showed up. I don’t plan on getting it out either. It’s still a great rod, I just much prefer everything about the P5’s more.

4. Member
    Thanks for the reply. Sounds like another BMG is in order, one with Magdraft 6 the other 1/2oz football. I get the impression the FMJ likes to be around some sort of cover whereas I mostly fish off shore grass flats chasing bait in search of smallmouth. Thanks again.

5. Member
    Suspense was killing me, FMJ arriving on Friday.

6. Member
    The NRX JWR rods always felt too fast for my tastes and I much prefer the slightly slower actions of the P5 rods. Tried the FMJ but for me felt it was too close to the JWR rods, sold it and got the 72H Steez which suits my preferences a bit better and brings more versatility to the table, which is important for me. It was a tough one to sell though, I did like it, just liked the Steez better.

OP, if you like the Loomis rods you will likely love the FMJ. I think the BMG is more up my alley.

7. Member
    Received my FMJ, not too disappointed but slightly more power than anticipated. Ben@hookuptackle in his video made it look a little more tip friendly must of put all his muscle into it when showing the flex on the upper third of it. Definitely more pop than the NRX+ 873c that I just sold probably close to the 894 though never laid hands on one. Will give it a go over the weekend I planned all along to pick up another BMG whether I picked up the FMJ or not. Will report back. Thanks for the replies.

8. Member
    Was toying with the idea of getting one. Sounds like I need to keep my NRX+ 873CRR…

9. Member
    To me, the new generation FMJ is a bit softer and loads a little further into the blank than previous FMJ. . That rod to me was a bit too powerful/stiff for what I was looking for. If you liked the previous generation then I think this one will be a bit slower. Not sure if that is what you are looking for. Time will tell after you get some fish loaded up on it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Scott View Post
    To me, the new generation FMJ is a bit softer and loads a little further into the blank than previous FMJ. . That rod to me was a bit too powerful/stiff for what I was looking for. If you liked the previous generation then I think this one will be a bit slower. Not sure if that is what you are looking for. Time will tell after you get some fish loaded up on it.
    If this is the case then I fully expect to enjoy this new version, water time will be the judge.

I have been fishing the P5 FMJ for a long while now. From the first cast I knew I was gonna love it. The added length and updated action makes it one of my all time favorite MB models. I could not imagine not using one now. Probably the most used model on every single trip.
    I have 3 now and will add several more when we have a good quantity back in stock. It's took a lot of the work that my Perfect Pitch models were getting. It's my go to jig rod as well as Texas rig rod for 3/8oz and above. It's a good frog rod too.

12. Member
    Mark, thanks for chiming in. To be honest I can't fathom the FMJ being a better stick than the BMG. The BMG might possibly be the best casting rod I've laid hands ons. I'm going to guess by year end it will be MB best selling P5 stick in their lineup. Made me sell my NRX+ 873c without hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Phippy View Post
    Mark, thanks for chiming in. To be honest I can't fathom the FMJ being a better stick than the BMG. The BMG might possibly be the best casting rod I've laid hands ons. I'm going to guess by year end it will be MB best selling P5 stick in their lineup. Made me sell my NRX+ 873c without hesitation.

The BMG is pretty nice as well. I keep finding uses for it. It's a good frog rod as well.