Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Why I'm not very fond of Tube Videos.....

<1B967317>

Yes, there are a FEW videos out there that might be helpful or useful. There are also way, way too many that are either intentionally 10-miles from the truth, or just simply don't follow appropriate protocols.

Amazes me that someone goes to this much trouble...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Piston return springs? Doesn't the connecting rod already do that? I have torn down/rebuilt some American made motors before and haven't seen that.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby Moser View Post
    Piston return springs? Doesn't the connecting rod already do that? I have torn down/rebuilt some American made motors before and haven't seen that.
    You never will, that was Don's point.
    2020 Checkmate 2400 Pulsare
    2019 Mercury 300R Serial# 1E080852
    1.75 TorqueMaster
    25 Bravo FS / 24 ProMax

4. Member
    Those videos are never meant to be takes seriously, at least I hope not.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would hope not. However: There are a number of "well intentioned" videos out there that if followed can have you spending an inordinate amount of time correcting needless errors (or worse).

EVEN some of the OEM videos... I still remember one where a Product Manager pointed at the oil fill cap on a 4-stroke, and told the camera that they sold a pump that would let you remove the yellow (fill) cap and suck the oil right out through that opening to change the oil.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Hey guys, it should be noted that all of those video's are April Fool's jokes. They are actually intended to poke fun at BAD YouTube "How To" video's.

I bet he made a lot of money publishing those, two of them have 6.5 million plus views, the other 2.8mil., it's his business. The finances of YouTube vary and are fuzzy at best, however we can assume he makes around $6k for every 1 million views. So for those three videos he likely received around $95,000 from YouTube...

7. Member
    Youtube is full of mis information. (not comedy) Some of the auto repair videos are downright dangerous.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I have people constantly commenting "Oh I searched and searched on Youtube and now I know how to _______".

Then they send me a link to "Jose's" Youtube Channel and video for replacing the water pump. Sorry... don't have the time to watch that many of them,
    but I seldom forget the first one I saw where "Jose" snatched the pitot tube completed out of the midsection.

He made some comment about "guess I should have unhooked that" but didn't include the aftermath video from trying to put it back.