Have a chance to buy a 2003 triton tr176 with a 115 evinrude

I’ve never owned a boat but this boat seems perfect for a first time boat owner. Does anyone have experience with these boats and is there anything I need to look out for? TIA

2. Member
    Getting support for the Evinrude engine would be a concern for me. Do you have a known, good Evinrude tech/shop in your area?

3. Member
    There’s previous evinrude dealers in okc that I image would have a history of servicing them. Honestly I’m a little out of my element as this will be my first boat after being in a kayak for years. Boat is in good shape it appears and has a spot lock trolling motor and helix 8 for $6500. I appreciate any advice

4. Member
    If I were you, I would have a long talk with those former dealers and confirm that they are willing and/or able to service that engine. Parts availability may be an issue here. Good luck with your search.

5. Member
    I think I would just save myself the trouble and stay away from the Evinrudes all together.

6. Member
    If I remember correctly Evinrude had their Ficht engines out at that time. Again, testing my memory, but I think the Ficht system was some kind of German developed high pressure fuel delivery system to compete with the Optimax from Merc. I don't remember the issues with them but there were some. They were discontinued after a few years. I had an 03 225 Ficht on a Ranger and never had a problem with it for the 6 years I owned it but I may have been one of the lucky ones. I'm not sure what horsepower were Ficht engines but it would be something I would want to know. Mine had a Ficht logo on the cowling.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119