Scraps

Fuel Leak 200 ProXS

Out yesterday and noticed the smell of fuel and then noticed the sheen on the water around the engine. Got off the water, removed the cowling, and didn't see anything obvious. Got home, gave it a little prime and it was obvious, fuel/water sensor connection to the filter housing. So was happy to find the fix. Unhappy with the possibility that coincidentally I had done my annual maintenance days before, filter, plugs, lubed compressor and cleaned strainer. Maybe not coincidental with this failure. Was out last weekend and everything OK.

Part is backordered until June 2, maybe this is common or still supply chain issues. Seems like a bad design to rely on sealant on the sensor connector to provide the protection against a leak. Have not removed the sensor to see if it's advisable to try and reseal with a good gas resistant sealant as a short-term fix.

IMG_1489.jpg
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Do not attempt to reseal. Simply replace it when the replacement comes in.

Over time, the fuel eventually deteriorates the epoxy used in the sensor. Unlikely you contributed to it, unless you sprayed some type of "non-gasoline" cleaner in the filter chamber.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    It is pretty common for the epoxy in the water sensor to fail. When I replaced mine the plastic of the water sensor had become brittle. Of course it broke off in the threads. Took quite a while to coax the remainder of the water sensor out of the threads in the VST. Ended up removing the VST to ensure I removed all the debris from the old sensor and to make sure it was clean. I also had the same long supply line issue when trying to order the part online. If you get a shipment by June 2 you will be fortunate. You can call a Mercury dealer (the price was the same). If they dont have the part they can tell you what dealers do have they part. Got mine from a BPS in TN and it arrived in a couple of days.

4. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by John Clarke View Post
    It is pretty common for the epoxy in the water sensor to fail. When I replaced mine the plastic of the water sensor had become brittle. Of course it broke off in the threads. Took quite a while to coax the remainder of the water sensor out of the threads in the VST. Ended up removing the VST to ensure I removed all the debris from the old sensor and to make sure it was clean. I also had the same long supply line issue when trying to order the part online. If you get a shipment by June 2 you will be fortunate. You can call a Mercury dealer (the price was the same). If they dont have the part they can tell you what dealers do have they part. Got mine from a BPS in TN and it arrived in a couple of days.
    Thanks. Have thought about calling around. The sensor doesn't look to me that fuel should be able to touch the epoxy? I was careful removing, used a line wrench and that worked well. Standard open end wrench will not do the job. Now wondering what else might suffer from the new ethanol fuel.
    Last edited by krindgen; 05-28-2023 at 07:00 AM.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    I just noticed mine is cracked so I ordered a new one. I was told backoredered til June 9th.

6. Member
    "estimated " availability
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    very likely will change dates
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    very likely will change dates
    Yes sir, I hope mine holds until the new one comes in. I spent 10 hours going over everything the last 2 days combined with my gearcase fix.

9. Member
    What type of sealant is used Thx

10. Member
    none , i put spot of 24c on threads

11. Member
    Thx