Motor stop for power steering?

I have panther power steering in my Crestliner. The steering only has a rod on the port side. When trailering has any body figured out a trick to keeping the motor centered? Not sure if turning power off is the best idea as I feel like it adds undo pressure and torque to the system which could cause failure?

2. Member
    While I don't have power steering on my '85 Skeeter with outboard, I've always just used a bungie cord looped around the steering wheel and hooked to the hand rail. Your situation could be different, though; sometimes simple works.
    Last edited by jjue1979; 05-22-2023 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the last sentence.

3. Member
    Why not use a Transom Saver?

4. Member
    There isn't any power going to your hydraulic steering. You have a pump under your steering wheel going back to the piston on the outboard that's it. Use your transom saver and a steering lock to keep it centered.

5. Member
    I use a motormate motor toter and have one steering stop. The problem is the steering unit only has a place for the motor stop on the port side. The motor can swing to the starboard. The problem with a transom saver to the trailer is there isn't a great spot to install the transom saver. Also in my experience with transom savers and larger engines is that they don't prevent swing.

I.will try the Bungie but I feel like I might have to fabricate something to prevent the starboard twist.

6. Member
    Hmm, my 200 HP 4 stroke doesn't seem to swing with a transom saver.