Vault Hubs, 15 Years Old, Replace / Maintenance

Vault hubs on my tandem trailer. The trailer itself is 15 years old and I am unsure of the age of current hubs. Should I replace with new Vault hubs, maintenance? Swap to something else?

2. Member
    Just replace bearings and seals, repack and your good!

Some people love the VAULT system, some don't. After some problems with mine and reading of others problems, I went with bearing buddies and grease like I had on my old boat. I had that rig for 18 years, and not a single problem in those years.

4. Member
    I’m opposite of both.! As I had trouble with grease and Vault, oil filled was my only maintenance free one.!! And yes I know that everyone else had trouble with the oil, just saying.!

5. Member
    I like the vault system. Mines 16 years old. All new in 2020

6. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by clayshooter View Post
    I’m opposite of both.! As I had trouble with grease and Vault, oil filled was my only maintenance free one.!! And yes I know that everyone else had trouble with the oil, just saying.!
    I loved my Ranger COOL hubs.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I'm just trying to decide that after 10 years of no issues with my Vault system to I service them myself (sticking with Vault) or take it to the dealer for servicing?
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

8. Member
    They are relatively easy and straightforward to do and they have a good step by step walkthrough that guides you through it. More messy than difficult really..

9. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    I'm just trying to decide that after 10 years of no issues with my Vault system to I service them myself (sticking with Vault) or take it to the dealer for servicing?
    Anymore, for me, I'm leary of going to any dealer for service.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Anymore, for me, I'm leary of going to any dealer for service.
    I feel the same way. The only time I’ve ever had a trailer problem was after having it serviced by a dealer. I ended up having to replace an axle.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

11. Member
    Perfect thread. I have one sealed hub that was putting out a bit of grease in about year 6. I think the dealer was able to repack them and new seals. That small leak though never stopped and I'm now at year 10.

So questions are 1- does a small amount of discharge signal a bigger problem??? 2- I have a new hub kit for an emergency in my garage now but I'm a bit leary of getting into it.

Like others have said, I'm leary of having the dealer install my part but equally as leary in doing it myself. Before I make that choice, I'd like to know I have a problem that needs fixing. Seems like about anything I get done with my auto's has about a 50% issue rate with the repair. Last time I was at the dealer a Perko latch nut went missing.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    Perfect thread. I have one sealed hub that was putting out a bit of grease in about year 6. I think the dealer was able to repack them and new seals. That small leak though never stopped and I'm now at year 10.

So questions are 1- does a small amount of discharge signal a bigger problem??? 2- I have a new hub kit for an emergency in my garage now but I'm a bit leary of getting into it.

Like others have said, I'm leary of having the dealer install my part but equally as leary in doing it myself. Before I make that choice, I'd like to know I have a problem that needs fixing. Seems like about anything I get done with my auto's has about a 50% issue rate with the repair. Last time I was at the dealer a Perko latch nut went missing.
    Just changing seals without changing spindle sleeves and then they still leak.

13. Member
    Good info on vault Hubs. 9 years on mine no problems so far. I here you about the dealer. I am trying to find a dealer to work on Vault Hubs that knows what they are doing???

14. Member
    I'm hitting ten years on mine without any problems. I'm also debating re-doing them myself or having the dealer service them. I worry I'll have trouble getting things taken apart myself since they have not been touched in ten years. With my previous trailer I replaced seals every three years.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Just changing seals without changing spindle sleeves and then they still leak.
    It has been a while and work was done under warranty. I don't recall exactly what they did just that a small amount of grease shows up on my wheels after the fix. But I recently towed back from Florida and the hub never got hot.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947