Foreign object in gas tank question?

Well, I am embarrassed to ask this question, but here goes. So this morning, I am emptying a five-gallon fuel tank with good gas that I had had sitting in my garage into my boat and the plastic tip of the fuel tank comes off and goes into my boat gas tank. This is probably a 2" to 3" tube shaped object. Obviously, I can't retrieve it without removing seats, fuel tank cover, etc. to gain access to the fuel tank. A real pain. So is this a big concern, or should I just leave it in the fuel tank? If it matters this in on a 2000 TR21.

It may be ok, being it's rated for gasoline service. The issue would be if the object deteriorates and breaks down into tiny pieces of debris.

2018 21' GatorTrax Strike Series, 250 Yamaha SHO

3. Member
    Not knowing how your filler tube is configured, but could it possibly be in there? If not, is the fuel level sensor accessible?

4. Member
    Thanks, decided I am going to let it exist for the rest of the summer. Maybe take everything apart this winter and change some fuel lines at the same time. The boat is 23 years old now, I just turned 69, maybe its time both the boat and I get some overall maintenance LOL. The TR21 has served me well. If I can get five or six more years, well I can't ask for much more.

I was worried about it messing with the fuel level sensor. I'll take it out for a run tomorrow and see what happens. Before this happened I had 1/2 tank full. I can't access anything without lots of work.

get a funnel with a screen pour the gas in thru that way.