1st trip to St. Lawrence.

Headed up the 25th of June. I'll be staying somewhere around Clayton. Any information is welcome, fishing, or local eating establishments. What will the small mouth be doing then? On the way back south I'm going to fish Cayuga a few days.

Air Force Retired, enjoying life
    Basscat Pantera 2

2. Member
    It all depend how warm the water will be by than, since this yr temps have been all over and the big lake is still cold. Everything around Clayton is good fishing and you can head to the lake or Cape Vincent area if the fish are moving into the River. Many fish will be on beds or very close to them, so the bite may not be as prevalent. Lot of good eating areas in Clayton or A Bay.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    It all depend how warm the water will be by than, since this yr temps have been all over and the big lake is still cold. Everything around Clayton is good fishing and you can head to the lake or Cape Vincent area if the fish are moving into the River. Many fish will be on beds or very close to them, so the bite may not be as prevalent. Lot of good eating areas in Clayton or A Bay.
    Perfectly said I will be up there for 4 days around Clayton area 22nd thru 25th

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    Perfectly said I will be up there for 4 days around Clayton area 22nd thru 25th
    Don't need to tell you where to go, but if you get a chance give Blanket shoals a try, but remember, Canada is at the other side of the Wolfe island cut.
    The Cape should be good if they are starting to move upriver to Feather Bed shoals, and if you have a Canadian license, Button Bay and Bayfield bay should be very good.

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    .....and if you have a Canadian license, Button Bay and Bayfield bay should be very good.
    Smallmouth on the Canadian side are closed until July 1.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Smallmouth on the Canadian side are closed until July 1.
    Correct, though when I looked it up for their Zone 18, it shows same as ours.

7. Member
    So no fishing for smallmouth until July 1st in Canada right? I called the number and talked to someone at the Ontario Fish and wildlife and they said you could catch and release but no keeping until July 1st??
    2020 Phoenix 920
    Merc 4banger
    East TN

8. Member
    On Canadian side of St. Lawrence, largemouth opens June 17 and smallmouth on July 1. Catch and release for both closed on May 10.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

9. Member
    Be careful, the map is deceiving, Zone 18 stops at the river and zone 20 goes up the river. The river is not zone 18. https://files.ontario.ca/mnrf-en-3/F...ne-18-BB13.pdf https://files.ontario.ca/fisheries-m...ne-20-bb13.pdf
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaprod71 View Post
    Be careful, the map is deceiving, Zone 18 stops at the river and zone 20 goes up the river. The river is not zone 18. https://files.ontario.ca/mnrf-en-3/F...ne-18-BB13.pdf https://files.ontario.ca/fisheries-m...ne-20-bb13.pdf
    Very good observation, after looking at the details, I can see that the Zone 20 is not just for lake Ontario but it includes the River up to the fence line. Leave it to them for making simple things a challenge.

11. Member
    Very good observation, after looking at the details, I can see that the Zone 20 is not just for lake Ontario but it includes the River up to the fence line. Leave it to them for making simple things a challenge.
    It got me once when I was planning a trip there.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance