Thread: Any tips?

Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar

Any tips?

Putting together an area in my shed to pour some soft plastics. Starting out with a 4 inch senko and 3 inch swimbait mold.

Any tips for a newb, or pitfalls to try to avoid as I do my first injections?
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

2. Member
    Make sure you have very good ventilation and I would HIGHLY recommend investing in a 35 dollar 3M respirator at a minimum. Even when shooting plastisol that is phalate free, without good ventilation and a respirator you will get a headache. If it gives you a headache that quickly, imagine what it will do to your body long term. I don't ever shoot plastics without my respirator.

Also, make sure you wear gloves any time you are handling hot plastisol. Safety is the highest priority with shooting plastics and can not be stressed enough. One incident can leave you scarred for life and dealing with painful burns for a long time. Good idea to also wear safety glasses too. I hate to sound like a worry wart, but stuff happens quick with molten plastic.

Other than all of that, best advice is to have fun and let your creativity come to life. It is a lot of fun to go out and catch fish on baits you made yourself.

Never shake your plastisol stir it. Get a good Pyrex measuring cup. I would second the respirator. I like to heat then let sit for a couple seconds to let the bubbles rise. First couple of times get a good temp gun. Make sure not to ver heat and burn it.

Good luck it’s addicting.

4. Member
    Definitely a respirator, Definitely wear gloves. Once you get to pouring or shooting baits, make sure you write down how much plastisol you used, the number of drops of color you used, etc ..... if you get a color you really like don't think, oh I'll remember how much of everything I used, because you won't. lol Have it written down,

5. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Did a test injection tonight, learned a couple things for next time. Senkos are easy but happy they turned out. Basically a watermelon seed color

20230519_164037.jpg
    20230519_164056.jpg
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker

I'll 2nd or 3rd on the air flow. I always keep a box fan blowing across my workstation toward an open window with a fan blowing out.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

All good advice. Wear pants and shoes, not shorts and or barefoot or sandals. I Made the mistake of sandals one time.
    Kyle Frick
    FrickerDude
    Frick-N-Fishin' Baits

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrickerDude View Post
    All good advice. Wear pants and shoes, not shorts and or barefoot or sandals. I Made the mistake of sandals one time.
    Bet that didn't feel good when you realized you needed pants and shoes.

But yes, pants and shoes are a requirement when shooting plastics. Also wear a shirt you don't mind wrecking, just in case you get a little plastisol on it, it won't come off. You absolutely can not take safety too seriously when shooting plastics, things happen quick and it hurts if you aren't prepared with proper PPE.

9. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Dang....I have to wear pants.... booo

but seriously, the 3M respirator is a great suggestion. I have very good ventilation, figured I was fine with that. After about 2 1/2 times cooking the plastisol it was little strong. Stopped for the day, not doing any more until I have the respirator.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post

but seriously, the 3M respirator is a great suggestion. I have very good ventilation, figured I was fine with that. After about 2 1/2 times cooking the plastisol it was little strong. Stopped for the day, not doing any more until I have the respirator.
    Yep, everyone thinks they have great ventilation, then they shoot some plastics and get a headache. If you get a headache that quickly, you know that can't be good long term. I can shoot for hours with a respirator and feel fine. They are not the most comfortable thing in the world, but I would sacrifice comfort for safe operations every time.

I have a nice exhaust fan right above my bench that vents outside and as soon as the cup comes out of the microwave it sits directly under that exhaust fan. And I still use the respirator every single time I shoot.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDobb View Post
    Yep, everyone thinks they have great ventilation, then they shoot some plastics and get a headache. If you get a headache that quickly, you know that can't be good long term. I can shoot for hours with a respirator and feel fine. They are not the most comfortable thing in the world, but I would sacrifice comfort for safe operations every time.

I have a nice exhaust fan right above my bench that vents outside and as soon as the cup comes out of the microwave it sits directly under that exhaust fan. And I still use the respirator every single time I shoot.

nice setup, thanks for the photo

Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post

I do mine in the garage with the door open thought I was fine but the problem is when you start to melt and inject you stand right over it. the smell and heat comes right into your face. Hated the taste.

13. Member
    Nice Lite. Just my brand.