Selling a boat tips?

It's time to move on and get something a little smaller and easier to store and handle. That said, where, besides using the BBC's "Boats4Sale" listings, would you recommend selling a bass boat?

I'd like to attract a young buyer, or first timer or someone wanting to make an upgrade into a solid bass fishing platform. My boat would be perfect for them.
    Last edited by OBT; 05-19-2023 at 06:03 AM.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

2. Scraps
    BoatTrader, iBoats are two other sites I used to surf.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    Facebook marketplace. Also make sure to post good clear pictures of the boat along with a very detailed listing with a price.

4. Member
    Set it in a parking lot. Go the the local busy ramp put a sign on it. Test drive today. Selling to a first time young buyer they may not know what to look for. Tires, bunks needs replaced, batteries, rust, carpet. Things that need checked out. Be honest

5. Member
    I have sold more than I care to count or admit.

Clean it better than it's ever been cleaned - carpet, trailer, wheels, motor, wax
    Very clear and thorough pictures. Show the shine, the layout, the motor
    Complete list of extras. They won't bring you extra money, but they will help sell it.
    Do your research on others selling the same model and year range - Don't over price it.
    Facebook Marketplace and all the forums. It is a national market now days. I've sold boats to 3 people who drove over 20 hours.
    Be negotiable.

6. Member
    First of all be honest in establishing the value of your rig.

Clean it up. This includes inside live wells and the area behind storage boxes when lids are raised.

Clean that carpet too. The battery compartment may need attention also.

BBC boats for sale is as good as it gets.

One other thing, notify Al when the rig has been sold. Answer all inquiries promptly even those received after it's sold.

Good Luck.

7. Member
    Facebook Marketplace and be ready to answer or ignore a lot of nonsense. But there are legit buyers also.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    Facebook Marketplace and be ready to answer or ignore a lot of nonsense. But there are legit buyers also.

Unfortunately this is very accurate. Also are there any regional forums where you are? I got a lot of hits and ended up selling my boat on texasfishingforum.com
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

9. Member
    [QUOTE=barbarian;13019316]I have sold more than I care to count or admit.

Clean it better than it's ever been cleaned - carpet, trailer, wheels, motor, wax
    Complete list of extras. They won't bring you extra money, but they will help sell it.
    Do your research on others selling the same model and year range - Don't over price it.
    Facebook Marketplace and all the forums. It is a national market now days. I've sold boats to 3 people who drove over 20 hours.
    Be negotiable.[/QUOTE

Great advice above. Clean it as good as possible, first impressions set the tone of a potential buyers interest.

10. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by duracraftman View Post
    Unfortunately this is very accurate. Also are there any regional forums where you are? I got a lot of hits and ended up selling my boat on texasfishingforum.com
    My experience too. Lots of tire kickers, scammers and unreliable buyers.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post

Be negotiable.
    Excellent advice here. So many sellers just stick a sign and take some (normally lousy) photos where ever the boat is sitting. Clean it up, take your stuff out of it, pull it out in the sun where you can see it, take lots of photos. If the engine tracks hours have the hours pulled and take a photo of the printout. Make it look as good as possible in the photos ....and price it fairly.
    "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

I would say that Facebook Marketplace is the best and worst place to sell a boat. The best, because it will get the most exposure. The worst, because you’ll get everybody and their brother asking if it’s still available. Good luck.

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Garmin 106SV(bow), 106SV(console)
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...UvSxaeLpzFyYHA

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mflora98ss View Post
    I would say that Facebook Marketplace is the best and worst place to sell a boat. The best, because it will get the most exposure. The worst, because you’ll get everybody and their brother asking if it’s still available. Good luck.
    Dude would you trade straight up for my Harley or diesel truck? I had so many of those.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

I sold a 25 year old boat. One looker said, "the price is right but it doesn't look brand new." I replied, "it's 25 years old, you want brand new, get a loan and pay $60K." He never came back.

15. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post

Be negotiable.
    ^^^. This 110 percent!!!

16. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Any reputable dealers around who would sell it as a consignment? I sold one that way once. They charged me $1,000 dollars. But they treated it as their stock. Cleaned it, advertised it, dealt with all the people and tire kickers, had their service department available to answer any questions and do checks, and offered financing. Only thing they wouldn’t do was take a trade in. They called me when the buyer was on site and told me their offer. I politely declined and gave the dealership my bottom dollar. They sold the boat above that bottom dollar price. Took care of all the transfer and paperwork. Sent me a check in a few days. Was well worth the grand it cost to me.

I've sold them on BBC, Boat Trader, and BION....craigslist. My last one sold on craigslist to a guy that drove all the way from Las Vegas to Dallas. Great pictures and description, low hours, and reasonable price will still sell a boat quicker than anything.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

Facebook Marketplace is a great place to start, and share the listing in the other groups on FB (i.e. Bass Boats Sell Buy Trade, Bass Boat Exchange, or any regional Boats for Sale page). I added that "If it's listed, it's still available" at the top of the ad to avoid the pre-text clicks, to which I don't answer those.

I also made my own ad (click pic below) where I listed everything the boat had as far as features and extras, but not repeated what the manufacturer ad states). I have sold my last 2 boats this way and answers a lot of questions for the buyer, and weeds out a lot of buyers before they even contact you. Also, BBC of course (I currently just listed one here).

2022 Crestliner MX19 4-Sale.jpg