Epoxy for alumaducer

Can anybody recommend an epoxy for an alumaducer that either bonds to aluminum a little better or has a little flex to it?

I love my alumaducer but not the gluing it back down every year part.

The aluminum has been roughed up with sandpaper and cleaned thoroughly. I epoxy the ducer in place using a dam of plumbers putty. It reads and performs great. And stays put until I introduce some flex to the hull. I know this is somewhat a self inflicted issue. But run through cypress knees or over beaver dams (think using the boat like Poche does) and the ducer inside the hull pops loose. It's always the bond on the aluminum side that releases. I have to grind the remainder of the old epoxy off the transducer before trying again.....

I've put it down a couple times with the vexilar supplied epoxy, and a couple times with various jbweld3 epoxy products from lowes. Same end result.

You can't use any soft/flexible adhesive and get good performance from the transducer. The hull and transducer face have to vibrate at the same rate to broadcast and detect the return sonar echoes.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Despite the advice advice, I tried a "flexible epoxy" from West systems. It didn't just get a bad reading..... it got none whatsoever.

So.... back to the drawing board. Thinking mineral bath installation might be my best option.

Quote Originally Posted by The5thDutton View Post
    Despite the advice advice, I tried a "flexible epoxy" from West systems. It didn't just get a bad reading..... it got none whatsoever.

So.... back to the drawing board. Thinking mineral bath installation might be my best option.
    A fluid tank would do OK if you can keep the tank stuck to the hull.
    May want to try anti-freeze first in case it doesn't stick any better than the transducer face.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    20230718_101750.jpg

Good call on the anti freeze.

Used 4200 to stick the pvc to the hull. Hopefully it's flexible enough to move when the hill flexes instead of popping loose like epoxy. I'll be filling this with anti freeze and capping as soon as the 4200 is fully cured.