Four stroke - remove lower cowling?

I heard something rattle around when I trimmed my motor up on the trailer. I loosened the bolts on the front bottom of the lower cowling and was able to retrieve this screw.

How do I get the lower cowling off?
    Any ideas if this screw is important?

250 pro xs 4 stroke
    Sn: 3B013768
    20230518_181357.jpg
    Last edited by Bogeypro; 05-19-2023 at 07:34 AM.
    2023 Skeeter FXR20
    Lake Guntersville

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Lower cowling removal involves a number of screws, with a couple varying lengths. There are screws that are obvious (outside the cowling) and some that are hidden INSIDE the cowling. I would suggest a Factory Service Manual if you're going to get into that.

Since you're still under Factory Warranty, I would take it in and have it addressed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Scraps
    That looks like one of the hose adapter fasteners up front, where the rigging tube comes into the cowling. Pesky buggers to find if they fall into the bottom of the cowling.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    has engine been worked on? someone dropped it and lost it than got a new one to use?????????????????
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    UPDATE:

Took it to my dealer. they checked every screw in the lower half. none missing and none loose. maybe just one that was dropped and left and it finally dropped down.
    2023 Skeeter FXR20
    Lake Guntersville

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Possible whomever dropped it couldn't locate it and installed a replacement screw (instead).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I lost several of these myself, saw one popped out of Lower cowl by lower. Pulled side panels and found several loose on the “plastic” plate that separates the upper and lower cowl. Think there is around 9 screws there that are the same. I had lost two and balance were loose. No clue why the “rattled loose” as most had the blue lock lite still on the screw.