2019 250 SHO - need help

Ok guys here is the situation. I just recently purchased the boat which is a 2020 and it came with a 2019 250 SHO with 190 hours. Complete fluid change has been done along with a new water pump impellor. Even before the fluid change and service the issues was there. Here are the symtoms. When the boat is run at WOT or close to it a flashing check engine light will come on with no buzzers or loss of power. The motor is still running great and oil pressure, tempeture and water pressure all appear to be good. After you come off plane the motor goes into "limp" mode. A quick turn off of the key and turn back on clears the code, the check engine light dissapears and your back to normal. Took it to the yamaha tech and he said there was no error codes stored so he can't guess at what the fix is. I am trying to set up a time where he can bring his computer out and we can try to diagnos it on the water. Anybody every heard of anything like this?

2. Member
    I would change the big water separator fuel filter located in the bilge and also the main fuel filter located under the cowling at the very front of the engine. The filter under the cowling is located inside a plastic cup housing. It sounds like you may have water contamination.

3. Member
    So here is the latest update... finally figured my way into being able to pull the error codes while out on the water. It was error code 24 (exhaust cam position sensor). Took a yamaha tech on board for a on the water data log. He confirmed the same thing and sent the data log to yamaha tech. He was under the impression they would say to replace all cam position sensors but they just said to replace the exhaust cam position sensor. Part should be here in the next day or 2 and we will see if that is the fix. The tech said some of the SHOs has wire harness issues but he had not heard that about any of the 2019s. I don't think it is a wire harness issue as the problem is repeatable. I think I have it narrowed down to the sensor or the actual acuator that moves the cam.

4. Member
    Strange that the mechanic thought that all three sensors would be replaced when apparently just one of the three is faulty.

The actual cam drive mechanism is not monitored by the ECU.

5. Member
    Replaced just the exhaust cam position sensor. Ive had the boat out a few times and it seems to be running good with no check engine lights to this point. Just wanted to pass along the update in case it can help someone else.

6. Member
    Thanks for taking the time to post your update, the information does help and any of us could be facing this problem the next time out!