Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Verkeith View Post
    Mark, I thought the 2022 and 2023 models have the traditional one big center box instead of the team series deck that the 2021 model had....with all 3 year models still having the aluminum deck. The only model that has the fiberglass deck is the 2023 ZXR19

My buddy bought a brand new ZXR20 last week and I was there when he was going over how he wanted his extra accessories mounted. We were cutting up with the salesman who is a longtime friend to us both. I told him my only true complaint was the leaky rod locker and he pointed out the fiberglass deck on the new models.

2. Member
    Unless Skeeter has changed something in the last month or so the only model with a fiberglass deck is the ZXR19. I was at my dealer a couple of weeks ago looking at the ZXR20s. All the 2023 ZXR20\21 have aluminum decks.

3. Member
    Unless Skeeter has changed something in the last month or so the only model with a fiberglass deck is the ZXR19. I was at my dealer a couple of weeks ago looking at the ZXR20s. All the 2023 ZXR20\21 have aluminum decks.
    yep, don’t think anything but the 19s have glass decks. The rest have the leaking aluminum decking, hoping that changes for 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by dreese View Post
    yep, don’t think anything but the 19s have glass decks. The rest have the leaking aluminum decking, hoping that changes for 2024!
    My 2022 ZXR20 has the aluminum deck. I’ve had to rearrange the way I store things bc if it goes in the starboard rod locker it won’t get wet, it will get soaked.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    You are right about the 20's having aluminum decks because that is what I have.

6. Member
    This has been an on going issue for years at Skeeter. They have chosen not to address these water leaks. Skeeter and dealers are fully aware of this problem and continue to delivery them to dealers knowing they will leak. If you purchase a new boat just take back to factory and have them fix it along with all the other problems you will find including cosmetic. How have they won 22 consecutive customer service awards when they allow a boat to leave the factory knowing you are going to have issues.

7. Member
    If I had known about it I wouldn’t have bought a skeeter!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KB1953 View Post
    This has been an on going issue for years at Skeeter. They have chosen not to address these water leaks. Skeeter and dealers are fully aware of this problem and continue to delivery them to dealers knowing they will leak. If you purchase a new boat just take back to factory and have them fix it along with all the other problems you will find including cosmetic. How have they won 22 consecutive customer service awards when they allow a boat to leave the factory knowing you are going to have issues.
    Do you have to take it back to skeeter or can dealer do it? The dealer I bought the boat from said they would look at it when I take it in for the 20 hour service.

9. Member
    I took my Apex back to Skeeter to fix leaks and cosmetic repairs. So far no leaks to report. I would have it fixed as soon as possible. Call Skeeter and speak to customer service expressing your concerns, get them involved in case your dealer can't fix.

10. Member
    What’s the purpose of the deck grid system? The aluminum decking can’t be as strong as fiberglass. Does it give the the ability to change layouts without changing the molds?? Sucks that you guys are having these issues. I love the looks of the ZX and ZXR boats

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    What’s the purpose of the deck grid system? The aluminum decking can’t be as strong as fiberglass. Does it give the the ability to change layouts without changing the molds?? Sucks that you guys are having these issues. I love the looks of the ZX and ZXR boats
    I think the obvious purpose might be the ability to level, and have a level, deck surface. The other is that it allows access to the entire hull below the deck if repairs were ever necessary. I don’t know what Skeeter’s official purpose is (there is one because I remember seeing some literature on it), but I know fiberglass cracking under the lids isn’t one of the issues.

12. Member
    Would like to add that this really sucks. One of THE major reasons I bought another skeeter (2021ZXR) was because my old 2004 had bone dry storage. Look at the old boats with the inset plastic boxes, they were foolproof! What idiot redesigned the deck to allow it the leak? Pretty pissed myself but I'm not fishing enough to justify changing boats again. We pay way to much to deal with problems like this and all new boats have some issue or another. And to be clear mine leaks as well, and porpoises...and my brother in law ended up sending his in for hull repair (same model as mine) when in was brand new.
    2021 Skeeter ZXR21

13. Member
    I noticed that the ZXR19 has fiberglass front deck but aluminum rear deck, is that normal.

14. Member
    I must have the only ZXR (2021 ZXR20 bought in August 2020) that doesn't porpoise or leak. Maybe my dealer did all the right things before I picked it up. I love this boat, everything about it.

15. Member
    I hear all the complaints. Agree shouldn't happen, but it does. Tightening the lid latch cams solved 99% of my problem. It takes a deluge to get water in the boxes. I can't get the starboard rod locker to quit leaking a little bit.

Tighten the cams until you feel the box lids pull down against the the deck when twist the handle. Trust me it solved almost all my issues.

2020 ZX200. It has the aluminum deck frames.

Quote Originally Posted by SHM64 View Post
    I must have the only ZXR (2021 ZXR20 bought in August 2020) that doesn't porpoise or leak. Maybe my dealer did all the right things before I picked it up. I love this boat, everything about it.
    My 2021 does not porpoise.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnee View Post
    I noticed that the ZXR19 has fiberglass front deck but aluminum rear deck, is that normal.
    That is normal for the ZXR19.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHM64 View Post
    My 2021 ZXR20 does not leak yet and does not porpoise either.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okskeetertzx190 View Post
    My 2021 ZXR20 does not leak yet and does not porpoise either.
    same here, no leaks so far and fished in heavy rain
    2021 Skeeter ZXR21 Yamaha SHO 250
    1993 Ranger 372 Mercury 150 XR6

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtech32 View Post
    same here, no leaks so far and fished in heavy rain
    2022 ZX225 , I have flooded/washed the deck a couple times with a hose , no leaks. I had to tied up to a dock and wait out a 2-3 " hard rain for an hour. I started fishing again never noticed any wet compartments, The next morning I pulled everything out and found a beach towel in one compartment and a shirt in another that were damp but everything else in those 2 compartments was dry.

I bet the aluminum decks are a cost savings. Labor to plasma cut , make a few bends, and weld up decks and powder coat is very simple once you get the process down. Glass tooling, fab and finishing process is expensive. There are a lot more companies aluminum decks could be out sourced to than glass shops. Yamaha is a well oiled machine and I bet they look at every cost savings angle pretty close.

My zx porpoises like the real deal when my sweet wife drives. I tried being the trim man but I get my hand slapped.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast