Thread: 2000 175 EFI

2000 175 EFI

Serial 0T068911
    Is not running well. Coughs sputters and acts like it is running on only 5 cylinders. I have checked plugs with a timing light and its firing (in my uneducated analysis) properly. I ohmed out the stator (400 ohms. I believe spec is 380 to 430) but cant DVA it (dont have that capability). I can get it on plane but it takes forever and then it will randomly die. Has fuel pressure, and 105 on all six cylinders. I really dont want to take it in but I'm not sure where else to go from here. I can out it in Neutral and it will rev just fine. Could I be looking at an ECU issue???
    Last edited by chadhines; 05-18-2023 at 01:06 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    When you say it will "randomly die"- please explain in clear terms what actually occurs to the engine RPM's and what if any actions you are taking during that time.

Have you monitored the fuel pressure while trying to get on plane, and while it "randomly dies"?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    RPMS will drop to zero. I haven't been able to monitor fuel pressure when it has died.

4. Member
    possibly ECU yes can you isolate which cyls are not working , ohm test trigger also , have to know which is problem spark or fuel delivery
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    possibly ECU yes can you isolate which cyls are not working , ohm test trigger also , have to know which is problem spark or fuel delivery
    I ohmed the trigger. 1250 on all three points. It absolutely wreaks fuel, almost like its dumping too much in. I've reached a point where I don't think I have an option besides taking it in. I dont have a DVA for my multimeter and I figure by the time I buy the test harness and DVA for the multi meter thats what it will cost me to have it diagnosed.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    One more item you can check easily/visually:

Pump the primer bulb up firm and visually look at the back of the throttle place (can be seen if you look carefully behind vst from the port side).

Have someone cycle the key ON and watch for fuel at the little brass 90 degree fitting that has HOLES in it. This is the VST overflow fitting- it dumps fuel inside the intake AND across the throttle plates on the back of the intake.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

Pump the primer bulb up firm and visually look at the back of the throttle place (can be seen if you look carefully behind vst from the port side).

Have someone cycle the key ON and watch for fuel at the little brass 90 degree fitting that has HOLES in it. This is the VST overflow fitting- it dumps fuel inside the intake AND across the throttle plates on the back of the intake.
    Thanks Don, I will check that when I get home. Also shot in the dark...do the control modules ever go bad on these?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, but normally end up lean rather than "pig rich smell the fuel".

9. Member

Should I see fuel coming out of the holes?

10. Member
    no sir none
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    no sir none
    There is no fuel coming out of the holes.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And you checked with the key ON, correct?

13. Member
    And you checked with the key ON, correct?
    Yes.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Let's get a fuel pressure gauge on it and take readings at:

-Idle

-Under acceleration

-15, 30, 60 seconds after engine shutdown.

15. Member
    I saw another post about things to try before making a bunch of posts so I decided to try checking the vacuum fuel pump on a whim before it goes in to the shop. Two ripped diaphragms in it. Could this be part of my issue? I haven't been able to test fuel pressure yet (dont have a fuel pressure gauge).
    Let's get a fuel pressure gauge on it and take readings at:

-Idle

-Under acceleration

-15, 30, 60 seconds after engine shutdown.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, definitely could. Use ONLY the OEM kit (do NOT use aftermarket).

17. Member
    I used the sierra kit a year ago. I'm looking for an OEM but not having mush luck around here.
    Yes, definitely could. Use ONLY the OEM kit (do NOT use aftermarket).

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'm sure our Parts Department has some... 857005A1

19. Member
    Thank you! I'll see what I can find on there!
    I'm sure our Parts Department has some... 857005A1