Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Came from an old hand control motorguide with HB Helix 10 and 999, went to Force with bow 106sv and console 106sv, all linked together, shoot-thru transducer and latest HD SI/DI on the transom.

Force is strong, no doubt. Pulls a 22+ft boat 3.9-4mph (lithium batteries).
    I never had a cable foot peddle, but the Force foot controller works fine, responds well to small movements, etc. I've tried using a friends cable TM and it's definetely not the same thing. I prefer the Garmin foot controller, while my friend complains about "feel".

The foot controller has a little lip at the heel. It will catch a flip flop bad and sometimes a shoe. Muscle memory helps, but somedays I want to shave that lip off. It has caused me to trip backwards, waiting for the big splash.

Spot lock is a big step up from hand controlled TM, but I have to agree with others. When you hit spot lock it will immediately turn to stern and power up. I believe the intent is to stop forward motion, but the effect is the back of the boat will start to swing around. Very annoying when you are all lined up. It will do this even when you are not moving forward, almost like it is trying to go backwards 5-10ft no matter what, then settles in. Very annoying, turning spot lock off and back on again helps, but you shouldnt have to do that.

Spotlock offshore is a challenge. There may be some settings to help this problem, but the TM does not like climbing waves and dipping into the next set. I was spotlocked next to another boat with an Ultrex. He was just sitting there nice and steady with the Ultrex making small corrections while my Force was power pushing my bow back and forth (left/right). It was unsettling to watch the Force spool up to full power, then swing 180 and spool back up to full power. Back and forth, just kept doing it. I tried turning Spotlock on and off, didnt help. Something was definitely wrong with how the software interprets larger swells and wave motion.

Spotlock, if it looses it's spot and cant get back, it will give 3 small beeps, then shut off. Fishing a rock jetty, sat down to re-tie and for some reason I didnt hear the 3 beeps. Luckily the current pushed me away from the rocks, but this TM beeps alot and for it to not beep more when loosing spotlock is a bad design. Of all times to make a bunch of noise, that is the time. See next comment about when it should shut up.

My Force is linked to the 106sv. If the TM hits bottom or hits something and it comes out of "alignment" an alarm will sound on the graph and not shut off until you reach down and touch the notification on the screen. Let me explain, right at the moment you are struggling to meneuver and need to focus with multiple things going on like lifting the TM over the log, not smashing your boat or getting stuck or taking out a tree limb, it starts beeping, even though the trolling motor has already automatically corrected itself, the graph just keeps beeping and wont shut up. This is an easy fix by Garmin, and should of never been setup this way. If the TM realigned itself, there is no need to take it to a "service center".

My Force worked 3 trips before the board died, my TM remote worked 1 trip before it started eating batteries. Garmin support was great, but it should of worked correctly the first time. The remote was backordered so I ended up buying a 2nd one as a backup. More $$$

Remote menu is funky, hard to find items, simple commands are not simple, again a year in and still trying to figure things out but maybe it's just me not spending enough time memorizing steps.

I know there is a bunch of whining up there, but over all it's still a great TM, I'm working through my issues, everyone uses these TM's differently so my experience may be just my own.

If I were to do it again, I would still get the Force TM but only one 106sv on the bow dedicated for Livescope and keep my HB's for HD SI/DI, depth, maps, engine data, etc.

2. Member
    I didn't realize the Spot lock was so inconsistent when engaged?
    Is this the norm for this unit? Pretty discouraging.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

3. #FRB
    Considering how noisy the steering is on the Ultrex I'd go with the Force if it's quieter. I've never used the Force but know that some love it and some hate it. If I were to buy a new trolling motor today it would probably be a Ghost but would still use Garmin graphs. Can't deny that the Ultrex is a reliable motor if you look at the big picture. It's just a dinosaur compared to the others but the Ultrex was also the first of its kind (I think). I do wonder how bad the Ultrex steering spooks fish especially in shallow water. Even in deeper water I wonder if the noise the steering makes is hindering me.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

4. Member
    I was just recently in this situation deciding between the Ghost and Ultrex. My new to me boat came with a 52" 36V Fortrex. When I upgraded my previous boats Fortrex I went with the Ghost. It's an amazing motor for sure, quiet, powerful, and efficient. It also integrated with my Carbon units. With the advent of new spot lock trolling motors, the Fortrex... an amazingly solid trolling motor can be found used for almost nothing these days can serve as an easy to switch out backup.

I decided to go with the 52" Ultrex so I have the flexibility of Fortrex back up. I went back and forth over this, and really liked my previous Ghost, but ultimately the Ultrex won out. Some factors were 1. Serviceability, 2. Fortrex backup, 3. Mega 360 mounting 4. Livescope alignment with head movement 5. Price (although money wasn't really an issue). I currently have two Live 12 units and will add a humminbird for mega 360. My biggest gripe with an Ultrex is no breakaway system, which is why the shaft is warrantied for life. More than likely a time will come where it will get busted on a stump.... especially in Texas.

I also factored in if the 52" is too long, I can always bring it to a repair shop and have them take it down two inches. The PowerPole Move is probably the best trolling motor on the market, but I'll opt out at 5 grand. I don't fish enough to justify that sort of investment. I don't tournament fish, just a recreational guy who loves to fish.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    I didn't realize the Spot lock was so inconsistent when engaged?
    Is this the norm for this unit? Pretty discouraging.

Don
    Since I'm done whining, let me tell you the other side of the story.

I wouldnt say spotlock was inconsistent, the stop forward momentum is consistent/predictable. I think it's just designed that way.

It's quiet. I mean really quiet. Until you hit the 80+ percent power it's almost silent. The turning makes a light electric noise just loud enough you can hear it.

Spot lock is very accurate and has held the boat in situations I dont think it was really designed for. Example, fishing jetties in the harbor, tide/waves and current are pushing over the rocks near a cut. Boat is bow into the waves where the TM (lowered all the way) would come completely out of the water then dip the entire bow into the next set. I've stood on the bow ankle deep in water as it takes wave after wave over the bow and it's held location. Was I pushing the limit? Yup, but if thats where the fish are, the gear needs to handle it.

The examples I gave previously were just a couple of times out of many trips it did something unexpected. I have no regrets in getting a Force, it was and I feel still is the best solution for the way I fish. (Nearshore/inshore/fresh)

Hope you find the right one for you. They are all so expensive, not something we want to do twice.

6. Member
    Love my new force. No issues

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12