Opinions on new boat needed

Upcoming wedding is 100% paid. Wife's car and student loan done before year end. Almost debt free. It's time for an upgrade! Budget is 60K and I would appreciate some opinions on which route I should take on the 19-20ft range. I have lithiums, ultrex, 2x 12's, M360, Mlive, dual raptors on my current ride so finding something "fully loaded" isn't necessary but going to try and leave some wiggle room to add a 2nd 12 up front. I keep flopping back and forth but I need to get that SHO on order soon if I end up going that route. Can't go "new" as my tow vehicle is starting to act her age so I'll be into a new truck by 2024 as well.

Option 1...
    Something a couple years older 2015-2018. I shouldn't really have to do anything (wiring, plumbing, carpet, bearings) for years. Downside is any used outboard is a crapshoot even with service records.

Option 2...
    Older hull in great condition and repower with a new SHO. For example there is a 00 520vx local to me that is in spectacular shape, also a 03 zx225, super clean. Either one plus the new SHO will put me under budget. Full warranty is a plus but the downside is with the older hull sooner rather than later there will be plumbing, wiring, carpet, etc.

2. Member
    03 ZX225 would be my choice.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

3. Member
    Sounds like you have a great plan. I purchased my current boat (2008 Skeeter) from a dealer trade-in and had to do what you described. Re-plumb and rewire the bilge area. I also upgraded the electronics, batteries (lithium), rebuilt the power poles, new tires, bearings, etc. I had to replace the motor mounts, and that was costly, but the boat is in fantastic shape and should last me a long time. With that said, I would look at a new Nitro if you want to stay in that price range and have new boat warranty. My neighbor at the lake had the same budget and requirements as you and did well.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewM-Fishing View Post
    Upcoming wedding is 100% paid. Wife's car and student loan done before year end. Almost debt free. It's time for an upgrade! Budget is 60K and I would appreciate some opinions on which route I should take on the 19-20ft range. I have lithiums, ultrex, 2x 12's, M360, Mlive, dual raptors on my current ride so finding something "fully loaded" isn't necessary but going to try and leave some wiggle room to add a 2nd 12 up front. I keep flopping back and forth but I need to get that SHO on order soon if I end up going that route. Can't go "new" as my tow vehicle is starting to act her age so I'll be into a new truck by 2024 as well.

Option 1...
    Something a couple years older 2015-2018. I shouldn't really have to do anything (wiring, plumbing, carpet, bearings) for years. Downside is any used outboard is a crapshoot even with service records.

Option 2...
    Older hull in great condition and repower with a new SHO. For example there is a 00 520vx local to me that is in spectacular shape, also a 03 zx225, super clean. Either one plus the new SHO will put me under budget. Full warranty is a plus but the downside is with the older hull sooner rather than later there will be plumbing, wiring, carpet, etc.
    What boat do you have now? Sounds like it's pretty well set up.

5. Member
    That’s what I was going to ask, what do you have now that you want to upgrade from? Do you fish any bigger lakes that ride quality or size matters?
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    That’s what I was going to ask, what do you have now that you want to upgrade from? Do you fish any bigger lakes that ride quality or size matters?
    Running a 17' tracker, biggest little boat you'll ever see after I loaded it out. I've been doing well in the club events and want to take the next step up but most of the bigger local events are on bigger water. No issues running the tracker on those lakes but the weather needs to line up perfectly for me to be able to run to where the big ones hang out. Keeping the tracker, love that little thing and going to keep using it for hoping into these little back lakes and rivers around here.

84rickygreen
    I reached out to a local guide that just picked up a new z19pro. 97K all said and done. This is Canada and the new market is absolutely insane so it's off the table.

7. Member
    Well I personally think any boat built from like 2004 and up were built pretty damn well. Mines an 08 and I don’t miss anything that maybe an almost new boat has. I do get your point on outboards, and they can be a bit of a crap shoot. I personally am not too afraid of a used one, just maybe avoid the first couple years of the SHO unless the recall was done. But for your options I would not be at all afraid of a clean 00 and up boat if you wanted to do a re power. IMO since you’re keeping the tracker for small water I would probably try and find a 20 or 21 footer if that’s an option for you. That might also be harder to do in budget for a newer boat. I think either way you go will be good tho, scour the market and see what out there. I also set aside a couple “sick” days at work so I could travel to buy one. I found a lot more options once I opened up my search area.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

8. Member
    Andrew, I agree that new boat prices here in Canada are totally insane. I would look to the US, particularly northern states. Even after currency exchange, you can still find some decent deals if you are patient. Last used boat I bought was in New York state. Water tested it at Oneida and brought it home that day. I am assuming your budget of 60k is US funds, putting that at about 80k CAD. That should get you something good. If I do happen to see something interesting here in Ontario, I will shoot you a message.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

9. Member
    There's something to be said about hulls built before 2004 as well. That's when the EPA banned some of the "good" vinyl ester resins. Downside of some boats from that era is that they weren't configured to have room for PP pumps etc. I was lucky enough to find a PIV a couple of years ago that was one of the handful built in 2003 (2004 is the first model year for the P4) and confirmed with Rick Pierce that mine was build before the ban.

A 520VX is a great hull that does just about everything very well. If it's been well taken care of and hasn't had a lot of bad electrical splices over the years I think that'd be a great choice.

Might want to look at a 2019-2021 Pantera?
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS