Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lowrance Ghost Anchor Mode

When I am in anchor mode the speed does not go up or down to adjust for the wind. In high wind I'll blow back 10 to 15 feet. It will eventually get me back up to where I achored at. Is this normal for the Ghost trolling motor? I've talked to Lowrance several times. 2 people said that it is normal and the third person said it should speed up or down to adjust for the wind. Just looking for some real world experience with this.

Thanks,
    Jason

2. Member
    Once I am on the spot and fully anchored, it does seem to hold me there by altering speed depending on current and wind. Never really noticed but I know I've never been blown back 15' and had the motor try to get me back.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Once I am on the spot and fully anchored, it does seem to hold me there by altering speed depending on current and wind. Never really noticed but I know I've never been blown back 15' and had the motor try to get me back.

NoCAL
    Thank you NoCal!

4. Member
    I had an issue with spot lock not staying in position so I contacted Lowrance and they sent me the below instructions to fix the problem.

Factory Reset
    1. Power on the trolling motor and activate user configuration mode by simultaneously pressing and holding down the Configurable 2 key and the Configurable 3 key until an audible tone is heard. The Power LEDs will start blinking.
    2. Press and hold down the Configurable 1 key and Configurable 2 key. Wait for an audible confirmation and the trolling motor will restart. Release all buttons when an audibleconfirmation is heard. All settings and calibrations are now set to factory defaults. All lights should be lit solid and not flashing any longer.
    After a “Factory Reset” the motor is supposed to be as if it came directly from the factory.
    The following resets:
    1. Bluetooth pairing (remotes and phones)
    2. Arrival mode (navigation setting when using MFD)
    3. Stow direction (won't be available until next NOS software release)
    4. Programmable buttons
    5. System voltage
    6. Bow offset calibration (if head PCB is connected)
    7. Compass calibration (if head PCB and compass is connected)
    The calibration normally done in the factory (pedal calibration) will NOT reset.
    The factory reset wipes out the BOW OFFSET, and the having a PRECISE bow offset calibration is critical for normal anchor/autopilot functionality.

After performing the reset procedure, the BOW OFFSET calibration and perform Voltage selection, at a minimum, we suggest to re-calibrate the compass next on the water, but it is not as critical.

Pedal Calibration ***(not necessary unless customer/consumer is lacking a full 360-390 degree rotation from the lower, propulsion motor from locked out toe down to locked out heel down position on the pedal or vice versa, all the way locked heel down to locked out toe down OR if reported problem is the steer motor in head makes clunking noise when pedal is rotated then please send this calibration to them in this case as well.)
    1. DEPLOY THE TROLLING MOTOR into the water then activate service configuration mode by simultaneously pressing and holding down the Configurable 1 key and the Anchor Lock button until an audible tone is heard. The battery LEDs will start to blink slowly.
    2. Press and hold the Anchor Lock button and the Configurable 3 key & wait for an audibleconfirmation, the Anchor Lock blue LED on the Anchor Lock button will start blinking.
    3. Press pedal toe down all the way and stop when fully toe down
    4. Press pedal heel down all the way and stop when fully heel down
    5. Center the lower shaft in-line with the mount by hand (This means to rotate, by hand, the lower shaft until the propulsion motor is aligned with the GHOST's bracket. The bracket and lower unit/propulsion motor should be parallel to one another with the nose facing forward (even though not directly forward since more than likely the mount is installed diagonally on the bow)and the skeg & propeller to the stern or rear of the vessel.
    6. Press and hold the Anchor Lock button and the Configurable 3 key. Wait for an audible confirmation, the Anchor Lock LED will stop blinking
    7. Exit service configuration mode by simultaneously pressing and holding down the Configurable 1 key and the Anchor Lock button until an audible tone is heard. The battery testLED and all other LEDs will stop blinking

Calibrate the mount bow offset
    Note: Misalignment between the lower unit and the heading sensor after calibration will cause poor performance in automatic steering modes.
    1. Align the lower unit to the centerline/keel of the boat before entering user configuration mode. (This means to align the propulsion motor, using the pedal, with the keel/centerline of the vessel with the nose of the propulsion motor/lower unit facing forward and the skeg & propellerto the stern or aft ship. The keel and the propulsion motor should be parallel to one another)
    2. Activate User Configuration Mode bysimultaneously pressing and holding down the Configurable 2 key and the Configurable 3 key until an audible tone is heard. The Power LEDs will start blinking.
    3. Press and release the Anchor Lock button one time. An audible confirmation will be heard when the bow offset is calibrated.
    4. Exit user configuration mode by simultaneously pressing and holding down the Configurable2 key and the Configurable 3 key until an audible tone is heard. The Power LEDs will stopblinking.

Calibration of the heading sensor
    Good calibration compensates for the deviation (local field) on board the boat, and adapts the sensors to the earth’s magnetic field strength for optimal resolution.
    Note: The setup of the compass should be done in calm conditions, with minimal wind and current, to obtain good results. Ensure that there is enough open water around the vessel to make a full turn.
    Note: For optimal performance, new calibration may be required if the boat has traveled to a location where the earth’s magnetic field is significantly different from the location where it was last calibrated. This is because the strength of the magnetic field varies in different locations.
    1. Activate user configuration mode by simultaneously pressing and holding down the Configurable 2 key and the Configurable 3 key until an audible tone is heard. The Power LEDs will start blinking.
    2. Press and release the Configurable 3 key and an audible confirmation will be heard when releasing the key.
    3. Perform a 390 degree turn (circle) with a steady, stable, low rate of turn (2-3°/second) to starboard with the main engine(s) and NOT using the trolling motor to make the circles!This process could take a few minutes. *For Point-1 users, you can open the calibration page of the Point-1 (Settings=> Network=> Device List=> Point-1=> Calibrate) to watch the rate of turn in real time on your screen as being reported by the Point-1. This will help you to monitor the rate of turn while actively calibrating the TMC-1 during your turns.
    4. Once calibration is complete, an audible confirmation is heard from the head of the GHOST.
    5. Exit user configuration mode by simultaneously pressing and holding down the Configurable 2 key and the Configurable 3 key until an audible tone is heard. The Power LEDs will stop blinking.
    Compass calibration notes:
    1. Calibration start
    1. 2 long beeps
    2. LED starts flashing "long" pattern (until calibration ends)
    2. Calibration failed
    1. 2 long beeps
    2. Calibration is restarted
    3. LED continues blinking same pattern
    3. Calibration stopped
    1. 3 long beeps
    2. LED stops blinking

2019 Nitro Z20
    250 ProXS

5. Member
    As opposed to doing all this ^. The thing that will most help steady Anchor lock is to be up to date on software. There was an early version release that addresses Anchor Loch issues. If that doesn’t work, then go through all the stuff from the previous post.

NoCAL
    2B112175

6. Member
    How much wind are you talking about?

Normal reaction is to somewhat slowly and safely ramp up speed to maintain position. It should not make rapid adjustments which could result in an unsafe situation. 10 feet really does not seem like much to me depending on how much of a wind gust you are referring to.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdixer View Post
    How much wind are you talking about?

Normal reaction is to somewhat slowly and safely ramp up speed to maintain position. It should not make rapid adjustments which could result in an unsafe situation. 10 feet really does not seem like much to me depending on how much of a wind gust you are referring to.
    Wind was 20+ mph the day that I noticed this.

8. Member
    As opposed to doing all this ^. The thing that will most help steady Anchor lock is to be up to date on software. There was an early version release that addresses Anchor Loch issues. If that doesn’t work, then go through all the stuff from the previous post.

NoCAL
    Software is up to date.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
    I had an issue with spot lock not staying in position so I contacted Lowrance and they sent me the below instructions to fix the problem.

Factory Reset
    1. Power on the trolling motor and activate user configuration mode by simultaneously pressing and holding down the Configurable 2 key and the Configurable 3 key until an audible tone is heard. The Power LEDs will start blinking.
    2. Press and hold down the Configurable 1 key and Configurable 2 key. Wait for an audible confirmation and the trolling motor will restart. Release all buttons when an audibleconfirmation is heard. All settings and calibrations are now set to factory defaults. All lights should be lit solid and not flashing any longer.
    After a “Factory Reset” the motor is supposed to be as if it came directly from the factory.
    The following resets:
    1. Bluetooth pairing (remotes and phones)
    2. Arrival mode (navigation setting when using MFD)
    3. Stow direction (won't be available until next NOS software release)
    4. Programmable buttons
    5. System voltage
    6. Bow offset calibration (if head PCB is connected)
    7. Compass calibration (if head PCB and compass is connected)
    The calibration normally done in the factory (pedal calibration) will NOT reset.
    The factory reset wipes out the BOW OFFSET, and the having a PRECISE bow offset calibration is critical for normal anchor/autopilot functionality.

After performing the reset procedure, the BOW OFFSET calibration and perform Voltage selection, at a minimum, we suggest to re-calibrate the compass next on the water, but it is not as critical.

Pedal Calibration ***(not necessary unless customer/consumer is lacking a full 360-390 degree rotation from the lower, propulsion motor from locked out toe down to locked out heel down position on the pedal or vice versa, all the way locked heel down to locked out toe down OR if reported problem is the steer motor in head makes clunking noise when pedal is rotated then please send this calibration to them in this case as well.)
    1. DEPLOY THE TROLLING MOTOR into the water then activate service configuration mode by simultaneously pressing and holding down the Configurable 1 key and the Anchor Lock button until an audible tone is heard. The battery LEDs will start to blink slowly.
    2. Press and hold the Anchor Lock button and the Configurable 3 key & wait for an audibleconfirmation, the Anchor Lock blue LED on the Anchor Lock button will start blinking.
    3. Press pedal toe down all the way and stop when fully toe down
    4. Press pedal heel down all the way and stop when fully heel down
    5. Center the lower shaft in-line with the mount by hand (This means to rotate, by hand, the lower shaft until the propulsion motor is aligned with the GHOST's bracket. The bracket and lower unit/propulsion motor should be parallel to one another with the nose facing forward (even though not directly forward since more than likely the mount is installed diagonally on the bow)and the skeg & propeller to the stern or rear of the vessel.
    6. Press and hold the Anchor Lock button and the Configurable 3 key. Wait for an audible confirmation, the Anchor Lock LED will stop blinking
    7. Exit service configuration mode by simultaneously pressing and holding down the Configurable 1 key and the Anchor Lock button until an audible tone is heard. The battery testLED and all other LEDs will stop blinking

Calibrate the mount bow offset
    Note: Misalignment between the lower unit and the heading sensor after calibration will cause poor performance in automatic steering modes.
    1. Align the lower unit to the centerline/keel of the boat before entering user configuration mode. (This means to align the propulsion motor, using the pedal, with the keel/centerline of the vessel with the nose of the propulsion motor/lower unit facing forward and the skeg & propellerto the stern or aft ship. The keel and the propulsion motor should be parallel to one another)
    2. Activate User Configuration Mode bysimultaneously pressing and holding down the Configurable 2 key and the Configurable 3 key until an audible tone is heard. The Power LEDs will start blinking.
    3. Press and release the Anchor Lock button one time. An audible confirmation will be heard when the bow offset is calibrated.
    4. Exit user configuration mode by simultaneously pressing and holding down the Configurable2 key and the Configurable 3 key until an audible tone is heard. The Power LEDs will stopblinking.

Calibration of the heading sensor
    Good calibration compensates for the deviation (local field) on board the boat, and adapts the sensors to the earth’s magnetic field strength for optimal resolution.
    Note: The setup of the compass should be done in calm conditions, with minimal wind and current, to obtain good results. Ensure that there is enough open water around the vessel to make a full turn.
    Note: For optimal performance, new calibration may be required if the boat has traveled to a location where the earth’s magnetic field is significantly different from the location where it was last calibrated. This is because the strength of the magnetic field varies in different locations.
    1. Activate user configuration mode by simultaneously pressing and holding down the Configurable 2 key and the Configurable 3 key until an audible tone is heard. The Power LEDs will start blinking.
    2. Press and release the Configurable 3 key and an audible confirmation will be heard when releasing the key.
    3. Perform a 390 degree turn (circle) with a steady, stable, low rate of turn (2-3°/second) to starboard with the main engine(s) and NOT using the trolling motor to make the circles!This process could take a few minutes. *For Point-1 users, you can open the calibration page of the Point-1 (Settings=> Network=> Device List=> Point-1=> Calibrate) to watch the rate of turn in real time on your screen as being reported by the Point-1. This will help you to monitor the rate of turn while actively calibrating the TMC-1 during your turns.
    4. Once calibration is complete, an audible confirmation is heard from the head of the GHOST.
    5. Exit user configuration mode by simultaneously pressing and holding down the Configurable 2 key and the Configurable 3 key until an audible tone is heard. The Power LEDs will stop blinking.
    Compass calibration notes:
    1. Calibration start
    1. 2 long beeps
    2. LED starts flashing "long" pattern (until calibration ends)
    2. Calibration failed
    1. 2 long beeps
    2. Calibration is restarted
    3. LED continues blinking same pattern
    3. Calibration stopped
    1. 3 long beeps
    2. LED stops blinking

Thank you sir.

10. Member
    I would considerable 10 ft drift acceptable in 20 mph wind gusts. But my boat is aluminum and gets blown around easier than a fiberglass boat.

11. Member
    Another thing to check, make sure that your cable connected to the pull handle is laying no where near your gps puck.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlynch View Post
    Thank you sir.
    No problem!
    2019 Nitro Z20
    250 ProXS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by james_az View Post
    Another thing to check, make sure that your cable connected to the pull handle is laying no where near your gps puck.
    It is nowhere near the puck.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdixer View Post
    I would considerable 10 ft drift acceptable in 20 mph wind gusts. But my boat is aluminum and gets blown around easier than a fiberglass boat.
    Seems like it should adjust the speed to deal with the wind but I could be wrong.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by james_az View Post
    The puck is not related to Anchor Mode. It is merely a heading sensor and is only used for jogging while in Anchor mode. The GPS receiver is in the head of the Ghost. Laying the cable near the puck might cause you to jog in a slightly different direction but it won’t affect Anchor Mode.

NoCAL
    2B112175

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlynch View Post
    Seems like it should adjust the speed to deal with the wind but I could be wrong.
    It will. But in 22mph gusts the boat could easily be pushed 10 feet before power is ramped up to compensate.

I am having a similar issue, wasn't that big of deal cause this fish have been shallow. But i need to reconfigure my bowoffset and heading again.

Mine will always back up and slow rotate, always going to the right before it rotates to the left. in windy conditions this causes me to do circles in anchor mode.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

18. Member
    The puck is not related to Anchor Mode. It is merely a heading sensor and is only used for jogging while in Anchor mode. The GPS receiver is in the head of the Ghost. Laying the cable near the puck might cause you to jog in a slightly different direction but it won’t affect Anchor Mode.

NoCAL
    Give it a shot next time you're out.

19. Member
    Don't really have to. My mount is directly over the top of the heading sensor and yet, I have no issues with Anchor mode. In fact, I've actually done the experiment. I disconnected the heading sensor and still no effect on Anchor mode. Had a friend who didn't even install it for the first 3 months. No issues.

NoCAL
    2B112175

20. Member
    Don't really have to. My mount is directly over the top of the heading sensor and yet, I have no issues with Anchor mode. In fact, I've actually done the experiment. I disconnected the heading sensor and still no effect on Anchor mode. Had a friend who didn't even install it for the first 3 months. No issues.

NoCAL
    So if my Anchor mode is not working it has nothing to do with the white heading sensor puck? Could it be this board below, The GPS board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast