24 Tempest Loss of Speed After Being Repaired

97 Stratos 282
    2012 Evinrude Etec 175
    6" manual jack plate
    24 tempest plus

I was running a 24 Tempest with a manual jackplate set to 3.5" PTP and was getting 63-64mph at 5750 rpm. I unfortunately dinged my prop up a bit so I sent it to a reputable prop shop that repaired and balanced the prop for me. When I got it back I was only getting 56mph and my rpms dropped a bit. I asked him about it and he said to bring it back which I did and I am now getting 57mph. I still have a loss of speed and I'm thinking it might be that the prop wasn't correct out of the box as I have heard that before.

Another thing I noticed is I have lots of bow lift but still find myself at max trim to get max speed where as before I could over trim and start to loose speed. Will raising my motor 1/4" help so that I can increase my rpm and hopefully use less trim?

2. Member
    What rpm's after the repair? I would go up and see what happens.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    What rpm's after the repair? I would go up and see what happens.
    RPMs dropped to 5600 after repair.

4. Member
    My guess as I have had the same thing happen as well as others I know. The shop you used may not know how to properly repair a performance prop. You have lots of lift but lose forward speed. Repairing a performance prop so it performs like new or better is an art. You might check with Mark Croxton here on the boards and see if he will look at it.

5. Member
    I've heard of this happening somewhat often. Try another shop or sell it and buy a new prop.

I think you might both be right. When I went out after raising my motor I got a little more speed but still 4-5mph less than what I was getting before. I put my 23 Trophy back on and still get decent speed, I just liked the way the Tempest ran so I will sell it and look for a new one or try a different prop perhaps. I assume a 23-24 Tempest or 24 Raker are my best options

Send it to Croxton
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    Send it to Croxton

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    Send it to Croxton
    I would love to send it to Croxton but I'm in Canada so shipping kills me there and back.