compartment latch problems ?

Anyone having issues with the compartment latches breaking ? I read on another forum that it is a known problem for Caymas and they will not warranty them, I find this really hard to believe, not sure how the latches are breaking unless they are trying to close lid with the latch in the closed position, also find it hard to believe that Caymas would not warranty faulty latches. The thread was on the Texas Fishing Forum, mostly Skeeter and Phoenix guys.

2. Member
    I had one latch on my CX20 Pro, even though it wasn't locked, was locked. I used the key to unlock it, but it still would not unlock. I ended up putting a breaker bar through the handle and really tweaking it. It opened eventually, but will not lock or turn in on direction.

3. Member
    I’ve had four of them and just ordered my 24 model and I’ve not had any issues with the latches, new option for the 24 is slam lathches which I order.

4. Member
    Have not had any problems with mine at all so far. Those slam latches were a pain in the rear on the Z 21,20 Ranger back in the day, we were always having customers complain about them not latching, we put dozens of new kits on them and still didnt get them right.

5. Member
    I ain’t sold on the slam latches. I can’t make the lock turn on the slam latch between the seats.

6. Member
    My rear compartment latch gave up on me in rough water once, the dealer replaced it no questions asked. Only other issue is needing to occasionally re-tighten the big plastic nut that holds them snug.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dh0ckey11 View Post
    My rear compartment latch gave up on me in rough water once, the dealer replaced it no questions asked. Only other issue is needing to occasionally re-tighten the big plastic nut that holds them snug.
    I have had to tighten the nut before, I think that is fairly common and expected, could put some lock tite or maybe silicon on it to keep it from backing off. Wonder if the latch is Caymas's own design or is it used by several companies ? I don't see how that latching mechanism could break unless it had been compromised before, or I guess it could be bad material from the manufacturer.

8. Member
    My boat was broken into on the lift last November. They pried the covers until the latch shafts bent. I bent them back in a vise and installed a Loc-R-Bar. I believe the latches are adequately strong.

The locks on the latches can be unlocked with needle-nose pliers.

9. Member
    The nut on my latches keeps coming loose. Any recommendation or trick to keep them tight? Blue LocTite?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbonner View Post
    The nut on my latches keeps coming loose. Any recommendation or trick to keep them tight? Blue LocTite?
    That or maybe some clear silicone. I have had a couple back off as well, but I have pretty much had that happen on every boat i have owned.