2001 Johnson 50hp Info Needed

Mornin' all, I'm now the caretaker of a pontoon boat with a 50hp Johnson, circa 2001. I took a 30min trip in the boat yesterday and all seems well. Starts fairly easy, runs well, all good. The boat's gonna need some gas when I return to the house at the end of the week and I do not know the mix ratio for this engine.
    Most of what little experience I have is with Mercs and now I have this Johnson AND a 25hp Johnson of the same vintage on my mother-in-law's boat just a few doors down and I'm the guy in charge of the technical aspects of this stuff.

In a nutshell, what's the mix ratio of this 50, and is there any resource for a technical manual for these engines? Sorry I don't have the serial number yet.
    Thanks much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Looks more like a 2000 by the color 2001 is more of a smoke color, mix ratio will be 50:1. Part number for the service manual is 0787069 try Ebay, or www.outboardbooks.com, need a model number on the 25 to give you the correct number for it.

3. Member
    The 50 hp was factory with an oil injection system called VRO. There would be a 1.8 gallon oil tank in the boat with a 1/4” id hose running to side of the engine right under the fuel line. If the the VRO was removed the ratio is 50:1.

see the stickies list at the top of the forum for service manuals https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=638013
    Last edited by Bighare2; 05-16-2023 at 02:49 PM.

4. Member
    Thank you for the info's, I appreciate it very much. The image above is just one I ripped from the net, although similar. I do see the color difference between the 2001 (charcoal/smoke), and the 2000 (more silvery grey). Mine is probably a 2000 (silvery grey), mounted to a 2001 pontoon. The VRO must have been deleted as there is only one tank, the fuel tank. I'll follow up after the weekend when I get more time with it.