Santa Fe and Suwannee Rivers

Anyone know anything about the Santa Fe area where it dumps into the Suwannee River. My home will be complete in Lake City in July so I'll be home to sign some papers and have a few weeks to wet a line there and prob St Johns River. I have a 2023 Phoenix Elite 21 ft boat, any hazards to pay attention to? Water deep enough to run? I'm retired AF and an overseas contractor, but will be fully retiring in about a year and since this place is only about 20 minutes from my home, I'm sure I will become a regular in that area.
    James Poirrier
    (Ret) MSgt Ammo Troop USAF
    Still "Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country"

2. Member
    We frequent that area often during the year. It's not the most hazardous part of the river but definitely needs to be learned. There are areas of rock and boulders that can come into play when the water gets low like it is now. Time and common sense will learn you where and how to run the river.Santa Fe can be safely run unless it gets low, which it does about a mile up river past Ichetucknee where there is a rock shelf. You'll see the rapids.. We mainly fish the S.F. the Suwannee not as much. We put in at Hart Springs if we're fishing that part of the Suwannee. G L. The ramp on S.F. is off 129 called sandy point. We mostly fish from fanning springs south to the mouth at Suwannee town.
    Last edited by gatrboy52; 05-16-2023 at 04:08 PM.
    Mike Clemons-Lake Butler, Fla..
    97 Gambler Intimidater / 200 EFI Merc

Thanks man for the info, I think the closest ramp to my place is actually Sandy Point, that is why I'm asking about both river systems, looking at a map it's not to far from the split. I imagine the water always has current being spring fed. Since it's so close, I'll be there often.
    James Poirrier
    (Ret) MSgt Ammo Troop USAF
    Still "Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country"

4. Member
    The S.F. is a beautiful river.Fishing is not what it once was mostly because of boat and people pressure. Years ago 50+ days were not uncommon, there was eel grass, it's gone now 20+ days are good. Catch the river right and banner days can still be had. The good days are when the suwannee bass are active. Rock sink Baptist rd. Ramp may be close to you. West side of river at rock bluff. That's A good stretch of the Suwannee .
    Mike Clemons-Lake Butler, Fla..
    97 Gambler Intimidater / 200 EFI Merc